1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schaum's Outline Of

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    Generally how good are those books for a student to use as a study guide?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Very good.

4. Nov 21, 2005 #3
    They are good for doing well in the exams, but not good enough if you want to get some deep understanding.

5. Nov 21, 2005 #4
    I've got the Applied physics. It's an easy read, and a good review, but I wouldn't want it as a primary text.

6. Nov 21, 2005 #5

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are quite good "to get your hands dirty". I have almost the entire series of everything that has to do with physics, electronics, engineering and chemistry and they all work along the same principle: learning by doing. Theory is reduced to the bare minimum, just enough to make sense of the problem-solving algorithms that are presented, then a series of detailled worked-out problems ("case studies" if you like), and then a set of similar problems, but with only the final answer to check if you got it or not.

As said before, they don't give you deep insight in the theoretical aspect of the matter (and thus not a very deep understanding) - you better get that in parallel elsewhere. But they give you a very robust set of problem-solving skills in the matter. Don't think that these are "cheap tricks", no, you get a systematic education in problem solving which is really really useful.

The best use for the Schaum series is:
    - as a practical complement to a theoretical course
    - when you have learned some material long ago, remember that you understood it, but you've a bit lost your practical skills, to get you up and running again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?