Understanding the Scherrer Formula for X-Ray Reflectivity Studies

• Thread starter jaga_satyam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, Berkeman says that he has a guide named Dr. P. V. Satyam, but that he always remains busy and needs help from forum mentors. He suggests that the user look at the references he gave and the library for information on the scherrer formula.
jaga_satyam
hello! i m the new user to the physics forum. i m working in a summer project now. my project is on the x-ray reflectivity studies of thin films. i want an explanation on scherrer formula. will u please learn me that.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know so far? What learning resources have you used so far?

Till now I've studied the book "x-ray diffraction studies of crystals" by A.Guiner. Will u please tell me any other books for reference and please teach me the fundamental idea.

hello! is there anyone online!

jaga_satyam said:
hello! is there anyone online!

?? what's the matter?

http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/~woodward/ch754/powder_diffraction.pdf

http://depts.washington.edu/chemcrs/bulkdisk/chem364A_spr05/notes_Lecture-Note-11.pdf

http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PR/v56/i10/p978_1

Cullity, B. D. Elements of X-ray Diffraction, 2nd ed.; Addison-Wesley: London, 1978; pp 101–102. (Exists newer editions)

http://books.google.com/books?q=x-ray+scherrer&btnG=Search+Books

Good luck with your work =)

Last edited by a moderator:
hello malawi_glenn! thank u for ur suggestions. but can u give me some ideas regarding scherrer formula!
thanks.

Well I think you can read throgh the material, and search for more. Then you can come back here and tell us what you have learned, and also more specified questions. I gave you plenty of material I think. Look at the library for books on solid state and X-ray diffraction.

In these forums, questions like "help explain this to me" seldom gives results.(see berkema´s answer). It is much better to tell how what you know so far and your goals etc.

Do you not have a proffessor for this project?

berkeman said:
What do you know so far? What learning resources have you used so far?
hello Berkeman! thanks for ur suggestion. will u please help me in my project!

thanks again. you i have a guide named Dr. P.V. Satyam. But he always remains busy in other works. so i have a lot of problems to face. Hence i need some help from the forum mentors.

jaga_satyam said:
thanks again. you i have a guide named Dr. P.V. Satyam. But he always remains busy in other works. so i have a lot of problems to face. Hence i need some help from the forum mentors.

But that does not sounds like a good supervisor..
And I think you can find the info you need on this formula in the references I gave you and the library. Ask what it is you do not understand and what you know so far instead of just shouting "help me".

Last edited:

1. What is the Scherrer formula for X-Ray Reflectivity Studies?

The Scherrer formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the average crystal size of a material based on the broadening of X-ray diffraction peaks.

2. How is the Scherrer formula derived?

The Scherrer formula was first proposed by Paul Scherrer in 1918 and is based on the principles of X-ray diffraction and the Bragg equation.

3. What are the inputs needed for the Scherrer formula?

The inputs needed for the Scherrer formula include the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the diffraction peak, the wavelength of the X-rays, and the angular position of the peak.

4. What is the significance of the Scherrer formula in X-Ray Reflectivity Studies?

The Scherrer formula is an important tool in X-Ray Reflectivity Studies as it allows for the determination of the size and shape of crystalline materials, which can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of the material.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Scherrer formula?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Scherrer formula. It assumes that the material is completely crystalline and that the crystal size is uniform throughout the material. It also does not take into account any microstrain or defects within the crystal structure.