1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schileren Photograph

1. Nov 27, 2004 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been googling for some time but I haven't found anything interesting about.

Does anybody know here how is produced a Schileren photograph and which are its physical principles? It is used a lot visualizing flows at wind tunnels. But I don't know what does it represent physically and which is the mechanism for producing the image.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A pressure gradient is necessary to force flow; that gradient implies a density gradient in any real fluid, and that implies a refractive index gradient. Illumination with a collimated source, or imaging with a high f-stop, reveals all density gradients that are not parallel to the direction of illumination as bright (converged light) or dark (diverged rays) on a film or shadow screen.

add this ---- SCHLIEREN

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  4. Dec 1, 2004 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OOPPS! Thanks for the correction.

And thanks for your explanation. Thank you very much. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?