Deriving the Exact Solution of the Schlichting ODE for Laminar Jet Flow

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to extract the exact solution of a third-order ODE with four boundary conditions. The equation and boundary conditions are given, and the experts discuss possible ways to solve it. Eventually, a solution is found and the conversation ends with gratitude from one expert to another for their help.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After spending large time trying to extract the exact solution of this ODE, I haven't been able to demonstrate the final result I'm given.

The equation is :

[tex] \frac{f'f}{\eta^2}-\frac{f'^2}{\eta}-\frac{ff''}{\eta}=\Big(f''-\frac{f'}{\eta}\Big)'[/tex]

where [tex] f=f(\eta)[/tex]

Boundary conditions are:

[tex] \eta=0[/tex] ; [tex] f=f'=f''=0[/tex]

[tex]\eta\rightarrow\infty[/tex]; [tex]f'=0[/tex]

I am supposed to obtain [tex] f=\frac{4c\eta^2}{1+c\eta^2}[/tex] with c= unknown constant.

but I don't find the way to gather the derivatives and solve the equation.

It corresponds to the exact similarity solution of the far field of a round laminar jet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do u have 4 boundary conditions for a 3-rd order ODE...?

Daniel.

Clausius2 said:
After spending large time trying to extract the exact solution of this ODE, I haven't been able to demonstrate the final result I'm given.

The equation is :

[tex] \frac{f'f}{\eta^2}-\frac{f'^2}{\eta}-\frac{ff''}{\eta}=\Big(f''-\frac{f'}{\eta}\Big)'[/tex]

where [tex] f=f(\eta)[/tex]

Boundary conditions are:

[tex] \eta=0[/tex] ; [tex] f=f'=f''=0[/tex]

[tex]\eta\rightarrow\infty[/tex]; [tex]f'=0[/tex]

I am supposed to obtain [tex] f=\frac{4c\eta^2}{1+c\eta^2}[/tex] with c= unknown constant.

but I don't find the way to gather the derivatives and solve the equation.

It corresponds to the exact similarity solution of the far field of a round laminar jet.
The left-hand-side reduces to:
[tex] \frac{f'f}{\eta^2}-\frac{f'^2}{\eta}-\frac{ff''}{\eta}=-\frac{d}{d\eta}(\frac{1}{\eta}\frac{d}{d\eta}\frac{1}{2}f^{2})[/tex]
since we have:
[tex]\frac{d}{d\eta}\frac{1}{2}f^{2}=ff'[/tex]
and:
[tex]f'^{2}+ff''=\frac{d}{d\eta}ff'[/tex]
Evidently the right-hand-side reduces to:
[tex]\frac{d}{d\eta}(f''-\frac{f'}{\eta})=\frac{d}{d\eta}(\eta\frac{d}{d\eta}\frac{f'}{\eta})[/tex]
Maybe that helps..

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Why do u have 4 boundary conditions for a 3-rd order ODE...?

Daniel.

You're right. One of them is redundant. I think [tex]f '=0[/tex] is not needed at [tex]\eta=0[/tex]

Arildno, it helps me a lot.

Let's see, according what you've said:

[tex] \Big[\eta\Big(\frac{f'}{\eta}\Big)'\Big]'=-\frac{1}{2}\Big[\frac{f^{2'}}{\eta}\Big][/tex]

integrating once and imposing the boundary constraint at [tex]\eta\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

[tex]\Big(\frac{f'}{\eta}\Big)'=-\frac{f^{2'}}{2\eta^2}[/tex]

that can be reshaped developing the right derivative to:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}f^{2'}=2f'-(\eta f')'[/tex]

integrating it another time and imposing [tex] f=0[/tex] at [tex]\eta=0[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{f^2}{2}=2f-\eta f'[/tex]

which leads to:

[tex] \frac{df}{-f^2/2+2f}=\frac{d\eta}{\eta}[/tex]

the right side can be calculated as:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\Big(\frac{df}{f}+\frac{df}{4-f}\Big)[/tex]

So finally I obtain:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln\Big(\frac{f}{4-f}\Big)=ln\eta+A[/tex]

where [tex]A=ln(c)[/tex] is a constant which I haven't found the way to determinate with the boundary conditions because the the logarithms are not defined in [tex]\eta=0[/tex]. This constant is determined with the Integral Conservation Law of the Momentum Flux as Schlichting stated.

Anyway it gives:

[tex]f=\frac{4c\eta^2}{1+c^2\eta^2}[/tex]

Thank you very much for helping me. :wink:

1. What is the Schlichting exact solution?

The Schlichting exact solution is a mathematical solution to the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. It is used to model the flow of a viscous, incompressible fluid over a flat plate.

2. Who developed the Schlichting exact solution?

The Schlichting exact solution was developed by Prof. Hermann Schlichting, a German physicist and engineer, in the 1930s. He published his findings in the famous book "Boundary-Layer Theory" in 1933.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Schlichting exact solution?

The Schlichting exact solution assumes that the flow is steady, incompressible, and laminar. It also assumes that the viscosity of the fluid is constant and that the fluid properties do not vary along the plate.

4. What is the significance of the Schlichting exact solution?

The Schlichting exact solution is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of boundary layers and their impact on fluid flow. It also serves as a benchmark for more complex analytical and numerical solutions.

5. In what applications is the Schlichting exact solution used?

The Schlichting exact solution finds applications in various fields, including aerospace, mechanical, and civil engineering. It is used to model the flow over airfoils, wings, and other aerodynamic surfaces, as well as in the design of heat exchangers and pipes.