1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schmidt trigger help

Tags:
  1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    • Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the HH forums and use the HH Template in the future
    I have been been trying to search forums and figure out the following question that I just cannot seem to get my head around!

Design a Schmidt comparator circuit based on an OP07 operational amplifier with the following characteristics: Power supply Voltages: +/- 12V Switching thresholds +1V, -1V

I have been trying to figure out the voltage saturation and then using this to find the resistor values for the schmidt trigger. I cannot work out what the voltage saturation is and how to calculate it at all.

Any help would be appreciated, I am really not the best at electronics!

The following is the circuit I am trying to use modelled on LTSpice:
    upload_2015-11-12_14-37-44.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2
  4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Consider that you have both +V and -V available since they're powering the op amp. You can tie the bottom of your R1 to -V rather than ground, and add another resistor of the same size as R1 to tie the + input to +V as well. Then tinker with your R2 value to adjust the total spread of the triggers. By symmetry the trigger points should lie on either side of the midpoint between +V and -V, or in other words, 0 V.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I would make the power supply rails using two separate sources. Otherwise their relationship to ground can be ambiguous... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted