1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schmitt Trigger

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1

I don't think my question is very difficult. I understand what a Schmitt Trigger is and what it does. There is, however, a couple of calculations that I've long forgotten and need to know. I am currently doing an own time study course at work.

How do I calculate the following?
    the dead zone (hysteresis),
    v2 and v'2 (please see attachment).

I don’t know if I should supply you with either or both Vout or a Vref . Please use values if it is required. I only need an example in order to understand the calculations.

Thanks a million. I've done this years ago.

Kind regards,

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Just calculate the + input voltage to the comparator when its Vout is at each of the rails (a rail-to-rail comparator seems to be assumed in the figure). Assuming that the comparator has no built-in hysteresis of its own (most don't, some do), then the two switching points are just at those two voltages, and the dead zone is between them.

Just think of a Schmidt trigger as a comparator with positive feedback through a voltage divider, as shown in your figure. The positive feedback is what makes it so the signal has to go back some amount after causing a switch, to get through the hysteresis region.
  4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    I also need help with this.

can someone do some examples with the given circuit?
    let the values given be as they are.

umm and the input be a sine 8vp-p.

when i am analyzing the circuit and say vin is +4vp. Do i do a voltage divider with -6VSAT or 6VSAT?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?