Calculating Schmitt Trigger Values for Hysteresis and V2/V'2

• Thread starter Smythersa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hysteresis
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the dead zone (hysteresis) and v2 and v'2 for a Schmitt Trigger. The individual asks for an example calculation and clarification on which voltage to use in the analysis. They also request someone to provide examples using the given circuit and input. The expert explains that the two switching points are at the + input voltage to the comparator when its Vout is at each of the rails and the dead zone is between them. They also clarify that a Schmitt Trigger is a comparator with positive feedback through a voltage divider and that the positive feedback causes a signal to go back a certain amount after causing a switch to get through the hysteresis region.
Smythersa
HI

I don't think my question is very difficult. I understand what a Schmitt Trigger is and what it does. There is, however, a couple of calculations that I've long forgotten and need to know. I am currently doing an own time study course at work.

How do I calculate the following?
the dead zone (hysteresis),
v2 and v'2 (please see attachment).

I don’t know if I should supply you with either or both Vout or a Vref . Please use values if it is required. I only need an example in order to understand the calculations.

Thanks a million. I've done this years ago.

Kind regards,
Smythersa

Attachments

• Schmitt Trigger.doc
    30 KB · Views: 273
Physics news on Phys.org
Just calculate the + input voltage to the comparator when its Vout is at each of the rails (a rail-to-rail comparator seems to be assumed in the figure). Assuming that the comparator has no built-in hysteresis of its own (most don't, some do), then the two switching points are just at those two voltages, and the dead zone is between them.

Just think of a Schmidt trigger as a comparator with positive feedback through a voltage divider, as shown in your figure. The positive feedback is what makes it so the signal has to go back some amount after causing a switch, to get through the hysteresis region.

I also need help with this.

can someone do some examples with the given circuit?
let the values given be as they are.

umm and the input be a sine 8vp-p.

when i am analyzing the circuit and say vin is +4vp. Do i do a voltage divider with -6VSAT or 6VSAT?

1. What is a Schmitt Trigger?

A Schmitt Trigger is a type of electronic circuit that converts a noisy input signal into a clean output signal by adding hysteresis. This means that the output will only change state when the input signal crosses a certain threshold in one direction, and it will not change state until the input signal crosses a different threshold in the opposite direction. This helps to prevent false triggering and provides more stable output signals.

2. What is hysteresis in a Schmitt Trigger?

Hysteresis in a Schmitt Trigger refers to the difference between the upper and lower threshold levels that determine when the output will change state. This difference is also known as the "deadband." By adding hysteresis, the Schmitt Trigger becomes less sensitive to small fluctuations in the input signal, making it more stable.

3. How do I calculate the Schmitt Trigger values for hysteresis?

The formula for calculating the hysteresis values for a Schmitt Trigger is: H = (V2 - V'2) / (V2 + V'2) * Vcc, where H is the hysteresis value, V2 is the upper threshold voltage, V'2 is the lower threshold voltage, and Vcc is the supply voltage. It is important to note that these values should be chosen carefully to ensure proper operation of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between V2 and V'2 in a Schmitt Trigger?

V2 and V'2 refer to the upper and lower threshold voltages, respectively, in a Schmitt Trigger circuit. These values are also known as the "trigger levels" and are used to determine when the output will change state. V2 is the voltage at which the output will switch from low to high, while V'2 is the voltage at which the output will switch from high to low.

5. How does Vcc affect the Schmitt Trigger values?

Vcc (supply voltage) is an important factor in determining the values for hysteresis and V2/V'2 in a Schmitt Trigger circuit. It is used in the hysteresis calculation and also affects the trigger levels. A higher supply voltage will result in wider hysteresis and trigger levels, making the circuit less sensitive to noise. However, using too high of a Vcc can also lead to increased power consumption and potential damage to the circuit components.