Scholarship offered to highschool students

In summary: SIn summary, the conversation discusses the lack of scholarship opportunities for high school students interested in research programs and the desire to become a physicist with a focus on space, machines, math, and computer science. The advice given is to obtain a B.S. degree first before deciding on a specific field of physics.
Imparcticle
First off, I wanted to know if there are scholarships that can be utilized during high school. My curiosity is dirivitive (excuse my spelling...) from the fact that there are many excellent research programs that are highly attractive to the scientifically inclined youth in high school, BUT (ah, there is always a BUT) repel most of these aspiring scientists with the dreadful reality that they cannot afford it. I am one such "victum", if you will. I have researched the internet for high school scholarship opportunities, but they are either for college, seniors (because they're the only high schoolers that exist :grumpy: ) or expired .
Anyway, so if anyone knows of a scholarship offered to high school students please let me know.

Second question:
I have wanted to be a physicist for a *little over a million years* (pun intended..ha-ha-ha :blushing: ). Now I was wondering what field is the most flexible. I am interested in everything, but most particularly space, machines (not neccesarily building...I enjoy designing mechanical equipment) , math, and did I mention physics? I plan on one PhD in physics, another in computer science (because I LOVE writing programs and running simulations of really cool fun math stuff). So what's the best field of physics that incorperates these aspects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a B.S. first. A B.S. is very general. AFTER that (so in another 4 years), you can start to have an idea about what you'd want to do.

PL

As a fellow scientist, I completely understand your frustration with the lack of scholarship opportunities for high school students interested in research programs. However, I am happy to inform you that there are indeed scholarships available for high school students interested in pursuing scientific research.

One option is to look into summer research programs offered by universities, which often provide scholarships or financial aid for high school students to participate. Another option is to check with local organizations or businesses in your community that offer scholarships for students interested in STEM fields.

In terms of the most flexible field of physics, that really depends on your specific interests and goals. However, I would suggest looking into interdisciplinary fields such as astrophysics, which combines physics, space, and math, or engineering physics, which incorporates mechanical design and computer science with physics principles.

Ultimately, the best field for you will be one that aligns with your passions and allows you to pursue your diverse interests. I encourage you to continue exploring different fields and speaking with professionals in those fields to gain a better understanding of which one may be the best fit for you. Good luck in your academic journey!

1. What is a scholarship offered to high school students?

A scholarship offered to high school students is a financial aid or grant that is awarded to students who meet certain criteria, such as academic achievement, athletic ability, or community involvement. Scholarships can cover tuition, fees, and other expenses related to attending college or university.

2. Who is eligible to apply for a scholarship?

The eligibility criteria for scholarships vary depending on the specific scholarship. However, in general, high school students who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership skills, and community involvement are often considered for scholarships. Some scholarships may also have specific requirements, such as being a member of a certain ethnic group or pursuing a particular field of study.

3. How can I find scholarships offered to high school students?

There are several ways to find scholarships offered to high school students. You can start by checking with your school's guidance counselor or career center. They may have information on local scholarships or resources for finding scholarships. You can also search online through scholarship databases or visit the websites of colleges and universities to see if they offer any scholarships for high school students.

4. What are the benefits of applying for a scholarship?

The main benefit of applying for a scholarship is that it can help reduce the financial burden of attending college or university. Scholarships can cover some or all of the costs associated with higher education, such as tuition, fees, books, and living expenses. Additionally, receiving a scholarship can also be a prestigious achievement and can enhance your resume and future job prospects.

5. What is the application process for a scholarship?

The application process for a scholarship may vary depending on the scholarship provider. However, in general, you will need to fill out an application form, provide transcripts or letters of recommendation, and possibly write an essay or submit a portfolio. It is important to carefully read the application instructions and meet all deadlines to ensure your application is considered.