1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scholarship programs for MIT

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1
    I am a freshman in high school and I don't know what to do in terms of a plan to get to a big college. MIT in particular. I come from the meth capitol aberdeen,WA and yes it is a small crappy town and I feel like I have no hope. If someone out there could please help me on some guidelines to follow or maybe some good opportunities that I should take such as scholarship programs or what classes I should take what I should read and what programs to get involved in it would be much appreciated and probably life changing, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2
    I'm gonna give you some pointers I wish I was given in my freshman year.

Take the toughest science and math classes your highschool offers. Make sure you also take other classes to show that you're not a science drone.
    Take the standardized tests as soon as possible and do your best.
    Try to participate in math and science competitions. (MIT asks for AMC and AIME scores on their application, so it would be a good idea to take them and score well.)
    Try to apply to RSI (Research Science Institute) in your junior year. MIT almost never rejects RSI participants.
    And most importantly, avoid doing things solely because you think they'd make your application look good. Do what you love and enjoy.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?