1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

School/Career Guidance

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    So, I'm entering my final year in high school and I'm trying to get a read on what I should do in the future. I've bounced around quite a bit in what I want to do as a possible career. The only things I've been sure of are my love of math, computers, and science.
    First I started by looking into computer science/engineering, and after learning a couple of computer languages (C++,Java,HTML/JavaScript) I decided that wasn't for me. I don't think I could keep up with the whole "learn this- oops its obsolete, learn this" feeling which I got out of it.
    Next, I moved on to accounting. How bad could it be? Numbers, Math, Computers? That's about the time I learned about memorizing accounting laws, and how frequently they change.
    So I set my sights on just getting a degree in math or physics, and doing research so that I could actually use what I learned, and have fun with it. So I checked out possible job prospects...and I found that physics and math degrees get you computer and engineering jobs...But I saw no truly physics or math oriented jobs, you know where I just set down and churn out math problems, or set up some experiment with optics or sub-atomic particles.

So, my question is, what should I do? What can I do that involves me doing things with math and science (Other than chemistry) ? Are there really jobs out there just doing research with physics/math? Teaching is about the only thing I could dig up, and teaching isn't what I would like to do. I'm in need of assistance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2
    In science jobs you're constantly having to learn new stuff. It's just more fun to learn about science than about accounting because the rules aren't man-made and arbitrary.

There are a lot of physicists in industry, but most of them don't have business cards that say "physicist" on them. And most people doing pure physics research are in academia or national labs.
  4. Aug 13, 2007 #3
    Don't base your POV of computer engineering through C++, C, HTML, Java. You'll take C/C++ classes, but I doubt any Java/HTML.

You'll be doing a lot of hardware design/programming as well. Completely different scene.

As I learned, you can't really gauge whether or not you want to do computer/electrical engineering through your high school experience. Sure, you may know that you like physics and math, and that's a great start. But for the actual engineering part, you can't really gauge that early on. It's something you have to take classes on to get a feeler, or better yet go to MIT OCW's site and look at some of their notes. You'll find a great resource there, as far as what to expect. But whatever you do, please, don't think HTML/Java is computer engineering -- you're wayyy off base.
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    There are TONS of jobs out there working for universities, colleges, big buissneses, etc. you just gotta know where to look....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?