1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

School choices

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    What type of schools should a student go , Polytechnic or Institute of Technology, if he want to receive a higher education for research & development?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We would need more information. I've know some "polytechnic"s that were no more than schools for mechanics, some that were good universities. It might also matter which "Institute of Technology"!

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's important what kind of research he's interested in.Whether it's physics,mathematics,chemistry,engineering,...
    Anyway,without knowing the specific domain,i can blindly reccomend CalTech anf MIT.As for "Polytechnics",i don't know of examples comparable with CalTech and MIT...

5. Dec 8, 2004 #4
    Internationaly there are a few 'Polytechnics' that are of comparable national status.

The only 'Polytechnic' universities i've seen in the US are the two CalPoly campus's, SLO and Pomona.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?