School Project Help: FeO3 + Magnets to Solve Water Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's project to solve the water problem in Egypt using ferrite chemical FeO3 and magnets. The other person suggests posting in a different forum and mentions the possibility of extracting water from the air as an alternative solution. They also suggest using solar or wind power for desert and ocean travelers.
Amro Sami Ali
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the ME forum >

Hello,
Currently I am a high school junior in Egypt and I have a project this semester to solve the water problem in Egypt from any aspect whether scarcity, pollution or desalination or overuse in agriculture. and I thought of using ferrite chemical FeO3 to attract the ions in water and then attract all of this with magnets , is this possible ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amro Sami Ali said:
Currently I am a high school junior in Egypt and I have a project this semester to solve the water problem in Egypt from any aspect whether scarcity, pollution or desalination or overuse in agriculture. and I thought of using ferrite chemical FeO3 to attract the ions in water and then attract all of this with magnets , is this possible ?
Well, that's certainly some creative thinking. I can't comment on its efficacy.

If this doesn't prove to be practical, an alternative you might investigate is extracting water from the air, even desert air. Lots of hits on google, here's an overview: http://www.ecofriend.com/10-interesting-ways-to-harvest-water-from-air.html Solar powered, or wind powered, should be mandatory safety equipment for every desert & ocean traveller!

Last edited:

1. What is FeO3 and how does it relate to solving water problems?

FeO3, also known as iron(III) oxide or ferric oxide, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a pigment in paints and coatings. In regards to solving water problems, FeO3 can be used as a catalyst to promote the breakdown of contaminants in water, making it safer for consumption.

2. How do magnets play a role in this school project?

Magnets play a crucial role in this school project by helping to remove the FeO3 particles from the water once the contaminants have been broken down. The magnetic properties of FeO3 allow it to be easily separated from the water using a magnet.

3. What is the process for using FeO3 and magnets to solve a water problem?

The first step is to add FeO3 to the contaminated water and allow it to react with the contaminants. Once the reaction is complete, a magnet can be used to attract and remove the FeO3 particles from the water. The remaining water should be clear and safe for consumption.

4. Are there any potential risks or limitations to using FeO3 and magnets for solving water problems?

While FeO3 and magnets can be effective in treating water, there are some limitations and risks to be aware of. FeO3 can be toxic in large amounts and should be handled with caution. In addition, this method may not be effective for removing certain types of contaminants, such as heavy metals.

5. Can this school project be replicated at home?

Yes, this school project can be replicated at home with proper safety precautions and materials. FeO3 can be purchased online or at a chemical supply store, and magnets can be found at most hardware stores. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and dispose of any leftover FeO3 properly.