1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Schools for EE grad school

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1
    I'm applying to grad school (PhD) in EE. My degree is in engineering physics so I want to work on the parts of EE that would also be called applied physics. So things like quantum electronics, nanotech and electromagnetics.

I have already started applying to: UIUC, Cornell, USC, BU, GTECH. That's 5 so far. I think I need more options... I want my next options to be from lower tier universities.

A little a bit about my background.
    - I have a 4.0 GPA, have taken 2 graduate courses on computational science, have done 2 research projects in physics, will get 3 good recommendation letters.
    -I come from a mexican university, but I did an exchange program at a good university in the US which is where 'll be getting rec letters and where I did research projects and took graduate courses.
    -I am a US citizen.
    -I do not want to live in the southeast (Kentucky, Tennessee, N/S Carolina, Florida, etc.) .
    -I need funding, I can't pay for school and do not want to get a loan.
    -I'm Hispanic (admissions committees consider that nowadays).

Where should I apply to now? Given my background.

How many do you recommend applying to?

Thanks and if you need more info, please ask.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2
    University of Michigan, University of Texas Austin, Purdue, University of Minnesota, Arizona State University, and University of Wisconsin Madison all have strong device physics groups. Also consider Harvard SEAS.

4. Dec 2, 2017 #3

Im looking for colleges lower in rank from the ones i mentioned. I want to aim lower. Do you also have any ideas for this?

Thanks.

5. Dec 3, 2017 #4
    I think ASU is the lowest ranked of the bunch, and it is still quite excellent. In particular, they are strong in solar and computational electronics (i.e. if you want to do theory/simulations).

6. Dec 3, 2017 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Uh... last time I looked, Georgia Tech was in the southeast. Is there another GTECH that has slipped my mind? :oldconfused:

7. Dec 3, 2017 #6
    Also, NC state is another school of lesser renown that is exceptionally good. Do you have a special reason for wanting to avoid the Southeast?

If it's political, bear in mind that the campuses tend to be located in more cosmopolitan areas.

8. Dec 3, 2017 #7
    I know its in the southeast, but its a good enough school that I will apply nonetheless.

It is for political reasons. Personally I've never had problems with racism in the US, but I've never been to the southeast and they tell me its pretty bad. I'll be living 5ish years there and don't want to be bothered by it. Plus, it's one of the worst times to be a Mexican in the US. I would be going to the worst place at the worst time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted