Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools out there uses maple

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    dont know how many schools out there uses maple, but let me ask my question anyway. maple is a program that does math calculation and other stuff, it's pretty impressive. you can use it to do integrals and stuff.

here's my question using maple:

1.) Let f(x) =x^2 and g(x) = x*e^(-x/2). Find where these graphs intesect and determine the area enclosed in the intersectng region.

this has to be found using maple.
    ok i tried these commands using maples:

f:=x^2;
    g:=x*e^(-x/2);
    plot({f,g},x=-10..10);

then i get this error "Warning, unable to evaluate 1 of the 2 functions to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" and it only displays the f(x) graph. i checked the maple book, and i typed the extact commands, i dont know why it doesnt work.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not a Maple expert (far from it!) but an obvious thing to try would be to use exp(-x/2) instead of e^(-x/2). I am not sure but it might be that Maple treats "e" as just a variable and does know that you mean e = 2.718...

That's just a wild guess.

Pat

4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    thanks alot, works perfectly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?