Finding Intersections and Enclosed Area Using Maple

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Maple, a program for math calculations and other tasks. The speaker asks a question about finding the area enclosed by intersecting graphs using Maple. They share their attempted commands and an error message they received. Another person suggests using "exp" instead of "e" in the equation, which solves the issue. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the solution.
CellCoree
dont know how many schools out there uses maple, but let me ask my question anyway. maple is a program that does math calculation and other stuff, it's pretty impressive. you can use it to do integrals and stuff.

here's my question using maple:

1.) Let f(x) =x^2 and g(x) = x*e^(-x/2). Find where these graphs intesect and determine the area enclosed in the intersectng region.

this has to be found using maple.
ok i tried these commands using maples:

f:=x^2;
g:=x*e^(-x/2);
plot({f,g},x=-10..10);

then i get this error "Warning, unable to evaluate 1 of the 2 functions to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" and it only displays the f(x) graph. i checked the maple book, and i typed the extact commands, i don't know why it doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
CellCoree said:
dont know how many schools out there uses maple, but let me ask my question anyway. maple is a program that does math calculation and other stuff, it's pretty impressive. you can use it to do integrals and stuff.

here's my question using maple:

1.) Let f(x) =x^2 and g(x) = x*e^(-x/2). Find where these graphs intesect and determine the area enclosed in the intersectng region.

this has to be found using maple.
ok i tried these commands using maples:

f:=x^2;
g:=x*e^(-x/2);
plot({f,g},x=-10..10);

then i get this error "Warning, unable to evaluate 1 of the 2 functions to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" and it only displays the f(x) graph. i checked the maple book, and i typed the extact commands, i don't know why it doesn't work.

I am not a Maple expert (far from it!) but an obvious thing to try would be to use exp(-x/2) instead of e^(-x/2). I am not sure but it might be that Maple treats "e" as just a variable and does know that you mean e = 2.718...

That's just a wild guess.

Pat

nrqed said:
I am not a Maple expert (far from it!) but an obvious thing to try would be to use exp(-x/2) instead of e^(-x/2). I am not sure but it might be that Maple treats "e" as just a variable and does know that you mean e = 2.718...

That's just a wild guess.

Pat

thanks alot, works perfectly.

1. What is maple used for in schools?

Maple is commonly used in schools for a variety of purposes, including making furniture, flooring, and other wood-based products. It is also used as a source of syrup and sugar, and its leaves are often used for educational activities such as leaf identification.

2. Why do schools use maple instead of other types of wood?

Maple is a popular choice for schools because it is a durable and versatile wood that can withstand heavy use. It is also relatively affordable and has a light, natural color that complements many different styles and designs.

3. Are there any environmental benefits to using maple in schools?

Yes, maple is a sustainable and renewable resource, meaning that it can be replanted and harvested without causing harm to the environment. It also has a relatively low carbon footprint compared to other building materials.

4. What are some potential drawbacks of using maple in schools?

One potential drawback of using maple in schools is that it can be more expensive than other types of wood. It also requires proper maintenance and care to ensure its longevity and prevent damage.

5. How can schools ensure that the maple they use is ethically sourced?

Schools can ensure that the maple they use is ethically sourced by purchasing from reputable suppliers who follow sustainable forestry practices. They can also look for certifications, such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) label, which guarantees that the wood was responsibly harvested.