1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schottky's defect

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ‘lattice gas’ consists of a lattice of N sites. Each of these sites can be empty, in which
    case its energy is zero, or occupied by one particle, in which case its energy is e. Each particle
    has a magnetic moment of magnitude μ which in the presence of an applied magnetic field
    B, can adopt two orientations (parallel or anti-parallel to the field). Evaluate the mean energy
    and mean magnetic moment of the system assuming that the particles are not interacting with
    each other.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]Z=\sum_r e^{-\beta E_r}[/tex]
    [tex]p_r=\frac{1}{Z}e^{-\beta E_r}[/tex]

For a system of n defects in a system of N sites,
    [tex]\frac{n}{N}=\frac{1}{e^{\beta \epsilon}+1}[/tex]
    where ε is the energy associated with the defect

Mean energy,
    [tex]\bar{E}=\frac{\partial \ln{Z}}{\partial\beta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My problem is that I'm not sure whether there are three separate states for each site, or are there only 2 energy states and the schottky's defect must be considered separately.

If I consider that there are 3 possible states, then the possible energies are
    [tex]\epsilon+\mu\beta,0\ \textrm{and}\ \epsilon-\mu\beta[/tex]

But if this is not right, then I'm not sure how to go about on this question.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted