Schrodinger Equation help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the shooting method to find the ground state energy and normalized wave function for a particle with a symmetric potential. The potential is given by V(x) = inf for |x| > 1.0, V(x) = (hbar^2 V_0)/(2m) for |x| < 0.2, and V(x) = 0 elsewhere. The boundary conditions are phi(-1) = 0 and phi(1) = 0. The conversation also mentions the possibility of solving the Schrodinger equation analytically.
Cinimod

Homework Statement

The wave function of a particle satisfies the time-independent schrodinger equation.
If the potential is symmetric and has the form
[tex] V(x) = \inf[/tex] |x|>1.0
[tex] V(x) = \frac{\hbar^2V_0}{2m} [/tex] |x|<0.2
[tex] V(x) = 0 [/tex] Elsewhere
Using the shooting method, I need to find the ground state energy and the normalised group state wave function if [itex] V_0 = 50 [/itex]. What is the energy of the first excited state?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even start. I only have the very basic of ideas of how the shooting method works. I am suppose to program this, but the coding shouldn't be a problem. I just don't even know where to begin. I do know from that the boundary conditions are [itex] \phi(-1) = \phi(1) = 0 [/itex]. Other than that I'm clueless.

edit: [itex] \phi [/itex] represents the wavefunction, I just don't know how to write it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I'm a new member. Where can I find out numerical method for solving Schrodinger equation? Thanks

phi(1)=0 is correct. phi(-1)=0 is not. phi(-infinity) needs to be zero in the limit to make the wave function normalizable. The time independent Schrodinger equation is an second order ode for phi(x). So your initial values at x=1 are phi(1)=0 and phi'(x)=c. You pick c and integrate backwards towards -infinity. Find values of c so that phi blows up to +infinity and then to -infinity. Keep splitting the difference until you find one that's relatively stable. You won't find an exact one. You can only guess an estimate. The methods of evolving a second order ode are pretty standard. I usually lean towards a simple predictor-corrector method. Google it.

NguyenNguyen said:
Hi I'm a new member. Where can I find out numerical method for solving Schrodinger equation? Thanks

It depends on what the potential are etc. Shrodinger is a differential eq, so search for numerical methods for solving those.

I have never solved the SE nummerical with anything else than matlab's diff eq solver. Which is a Runge-Kutta method.

Dick said:
phi(-1)=0 is not

Are you sure? it is a symmetric potential with infinite boundaries

mda said:
Are you sure? it is a symmetric potential with infinite boundaries

according to me, your original posted boundry conditions are correct.

why can't you solve this analytically? It is not a hard diff-eq to solve.

malawi_glenn said:
according to me, your original posted boundry conditions are correct.

why can't you solve this analytically? It is not a hard diff-eq to solve.

Ooops, you guys are right. Somehow I missed the absolute values in V(x)=inf for |x|>1. But I'm still not sure you can do it analytically, can you? You can still use shooting to approximate the answer by trying to hit phi(-1)=0 numerically.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a particular time.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation derived?

The Schrodinger equation is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality of matter and the uncertainty principle. It is based on the concept of a wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle's position and momentum at any given time.

3. What are the applications of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is used in a wide range of fields, including atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and nuclear physics. It is also the basis for many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Schrodinger equation cannot be solved exactly. However, there are a few special cases where exact solutions are possible, such as the particle in a box or the harmonic oscillator. In general, numerical methods are used to solve the equation and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What is the role of the Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. Without the Schrodinger equation, our understanding of the quantum world would be incomplete.