1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger Equation help

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function of a particle satisfies the time-independent schrodinger equation.
    If the potential is symmetric and has the form
    [tex] V(x) = \inf[/tex] |x|>1.0
    [tex] V(x) = \frac{\hbar^2V_0}{2m} [/tex] |x|<0.2
    [tex] V(x) = 0 [/tex] Elsewhere
    Using the shooting method, I need to find the ground state energy and the normalised group state wave function if [itex] V_0 = 50 [/itex]. What is the energy of the first excited state?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to even start. I only have the very basic of ideas of how the shooting method works. I am suppose to program this, but the coding shouldn't be a problem. I just don't even know where to begin. I do know from that the boundary conditions are [itex] \phi(-1) = \phi(1) = 0 [/itex]. Other than that I'm clueless.

edit: [itex] \phi [/itex] represents the wavefunction, I just dont know how to write it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    Hi I'm a new member. Where can I find out numerical method for solving Schrodinger equation? Thanks

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

phi(1)=0 is correct. phi(-1)=0 is not. phi(-infinity) needs to be zero in the limit to make the wave function normalizable. The time independent Schrodinger equation is an second order ode for phi(x). So your initial values at x=1 are phi(1)=0 and phi'(x)=c. You pick c and integrate backwards towards -infinity. Find values of c so that phi blows up to +infinity and then to -infinity. Keep splitting the difference until you find one that's relatively stable. You won't find an exact one. You can only guess an estimate. The methods of evolving a second order ode are pretty standard. I usually lean towards a simple predictor-corrector method. Google it.

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on what the potential are etc. Shrodinger is a differential eq, so search for numerical methods for solving those.

I have never solved the SE nummerical with anything else than matlab's diff eq solver. Which is a Runge-Kutta method.

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5

mda

Are you sure? it is a symmetric potential with infinite boundaries

7. Jan 18, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

according to me, your original posted boundry conditions are correct.

why cant you solve this analytically? It is not a hard diff-eq to solve.

8. Jan 18, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops, you guys are right. Somehow I missed the absolute values in V(x)=inf for |x|>1. But I'm still not sure you can do it analytically, can you? You can still use shooting to approximate the answer by trying to hit phi(-1)=0 numerically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?