Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Schrodinger Equation help

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function of a particle satisfies the time-independent schrodinger equation.
    If the potential is symmetric and has the form
    [tex] V(x) = \inf[/tex] |x|>1.0
    [tex] V(x) = \frac{\hbar^2V_0}{2m} [/tex] |x|<0.2
    [tex] V(x) = 0 [/tex] Elsewhere
    Using the shooting method, I need to find the ground state energy and the normalised group state wave function if [itex] V_0 = 50 [/itex]. What is the energy of the first excited state?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to even start. I only have the very basic of ideas of how the shooting method works. I am suppose to program this, but the coding shouldn't be a problem. I just don't even know where to begin. I do know from that the boundary conditions are [itex] \phi(-1) = \phi(1) = 0 [/itex]. Other than that I'm clueless.

edit: [itex] \phi [/itex] represents the wavefunction, I just dont know how to write it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    Hi I'm a new member. Where can I find out numerical method for solving Schrodinger equation? Thanks

4. Jan 17, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

phi(1)=0 is correct. phi(-1)=0 is not. phi(-infinity) needs to be zero in the limit to make the wave function normalizable. The time independent Schrodinger equation is an second order ode for phi(x). So your initial values at x=1 are phi(1)=0 and phi'(x)=c. You pick c and integrate backwards towards -infinity. Find values of c so that phi blows up to +infinity and then to -infinity. Keep splitting the difference until you find one that's relatively stable. You won't find an exact one. You can only guess an estimate. The methods of evolving a second order ode are pretty standard. I usually lean towards a simple predictor-corrector method. Google it.

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on what the potential are etc. Shrodinger is a differential eq, so search for numerical methods for solving those.

I have never solved the SE nummerical with anything else than matlab's diff eq solver. Which is a Runge-Kutta method.

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5

mda

Are you sure? it is a symmetric potential with infinite boundaries

7. Jan 18, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

according to me, your original posted boundry conditions are correct.

why cant you solve this analytically? It is not a hard diff-eq to solve.

8. Jan 18, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops, you guys are right. Somehow I missed the absolute values in V(x)=inf for |x|>1. But I'm still not sure you can do it analytically, can you? You can still use shooting to approximate the answer by trying to hit phi(-1)=0 numerically.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook