1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation help

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the probability that a particle in the ground state will be found between L/2 and 2L/3?
    im new guys so go easy :)

2. Relevant equations
    ∫ψ(x)^2 dx = ∫2/L (sin(πx/L))^2 dx
    in attachment

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer should be 30.44%
    i got 66.66% and sometimes a negative number
    please show me the steps too :/

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2
    So you have the integral:[tex]\int{\psi \psi^{*} dx} = \int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{\frac{2L}{3}}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx} = \int^{\frac{L}{2}}_{\frac{2L}{3}}{\frac{2}{L} \sin^{2}{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx}[/tex] You can get the integral of sine squared from an integral table:[tex]\int{\sin^{2}{ax} dx} = \frac{x}{2} - \frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/tex] Keep in mind that both [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/itex] are evaluated at the limits of integration.

Doing all of this I obtained 30% for the answer when I plugged in n = 1 (for the ground state).

You're probably just messing up the minus sign on one of the 4 terms that come about when you evaluate the [itex]\frac{x}{2} - \frac{\sin{2ax}}{4a}[/itex] term at the limits of integration. You 4 terms should be [tex]\int{\psi \psi^{*} dx} = \frac{2}{L} (\frac{L}{3} - \frac{L}{4} - \frac{\sin{(2\frac{n \pi}{L}\frac{2L}{3}})}{4 \frac{n \pi}{L}} + \frac{\sin{(2 \frac{n \pi}{L} \frac{L}{2}})}{4 \frac{n \pi}{L}})[/tex]

Edit*** After a 3rd check, when n = 1 the answer is indeed 30%. Looks like we are both susceptible to math errors on this one >_< (I had edited my post thinking the answer was 60% when I double checked my original answer...)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    I love you :')

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook