1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation help

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    I'm given the value of a normalized wave function at t=0 (see attachment) and i'm asked to find the wave function at some time t. I have no idea where to even begin, the book has zero examples of anything and I'm just stuck :confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does your book have to say about the time evolution of a wavefunction? More specifically, have you been told what the time evolution operator is?

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

mathlete,

I can't see yout attachment so I don't know what level you're at, therefore I'm going to give a fairly basic approach. If I have an exact energy state [tex] \psi_E(x) [/tex] that satisfies the time independent Schrodinger equation [tex] H \psi_E = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2\psi_E}{dx^2} + V \psi_E= E \psi_E, [/tex] then how does [tex] \psi_E [/tex] change in time? Hint: use the time dependent Schrodinger equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?