Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Schrodinger equation help

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    I'm given the value of a normalized wave function at t=0 (see attachment) and i'm asked to find the wave function at some time t. I have no idea where to even begin, the book has zero examples of anything and I'm just stuck :confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does your book have to say about the time evolution of a wavefunction? More specifically, have you been told what the time evolution operator is?

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

mathlete,

I can't see yout attachment so I don't know what level you're at, therefore I'm going to give a fairly basic approach. If I have an exact energy state [tex] \psi_E(x) [/tex] that satisfies the time independent Schrodinger equation [tex] H \psi_E = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2\psi_E}{dx^2} + V \psi_E= E \psi_E, [/tex] then how does [tex] \psi_E [/tex] change in time? Hint: use the time dependent Schrodinger equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook