Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice.

In summary, The Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a crystal lattice. It takes into account the periodicity of the lattice and the wave-like nature of particles. The standard Schrodinger equation is used to describe the behavior of particles in free space, while the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice takes into account the interactions between particles in a crystal lattice. The reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct that allows us to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in terms of wave vectors. In the Schrodinger equation, the reciprocal lattice is used to represent the potential energy of the particles in the crystal. The Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice is used
silverwhale
Hi Everybody,

I am learning solid state physics using a German book called "Festkorperphysik" written by Gross and Marx.

Now, in page 336 the Schrodinger equation in momentum space is introduced:
[tex] \left( \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} - E \right) C_\vec{k} + \sum_\vec{G} V_\vec{G} C_{\vec{k}-\vec{G}} = 0. [/tex]
Then the authors go on and say that this set of algebraic equations is a representation of the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal space (reciprocal lattice). I guess they mean set because for each value of [itex] \vec{k}[/itex] there is one equation.

Next, they say that for each [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] there is a solution [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] with a corresponding energy eigenvalue [itex] E_\vec{k} [/itex].
I do not understand what [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] is.

From each equation I get only one value for [itex] C_\vec{k} [/itex]. And by looking at all the different values for [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] I get all the different algebraic equations from which I can extract the [itex] C_\vec{k} [/itex] with which I can construct [itex] \psi[/itex], the original wave function. That's what I thought..

Where does [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] come from? And related to this where does [itex] E_k [/itex] come from? Where is the eigenvalue equation that gives the k indexed wavefunction and eigenvalue?

Or is [itex] \psi_{\vec{k}} [/itex] simply given by:

[tex] \psi_{\vec{k}} = C_{\vec{k}} e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}}?[/tex]

I do not understand.

I searched many books but didn't find any answer..

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>The Schrodinger equation in momentum space is a representation of the original Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice space. The solution of this equation for each value of k gives you a wavefunction psi_k and an energy eigenvalue E_k. The wavefunction psi_k is given by:psi_k = C_k * exp(i*k*r), where C_k is the coefficient obtained from the solution of the equation and r is the position vector.The energy eigenvalue E_k is obtained by solving the equation:E_k = (hbar^2*k^2)/(2m) - V, where hbar is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and V is the potential energy. Hope this helps!

1. What is the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice?

The Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a crystal lattice. It takes into account the periodicity of the lattice and the wave-like nature of particles.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice different from the standard Schrodinger equation?

The standard Schrodinger equation is used to describe the behavior of particles in free space, while the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice takes into account the interactions between particles in a crystal lattice.

3. What is the significance of the reciprocal lattice in the Schrodinger equation?

The reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct that allows us to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in terms of wave vectors. In the Schrodinger equation, the reciprocal lattice is used to represent the potential energy of the particles in the crystal.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice used in materials science?

The Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice is used in materials science to understand the electronic properties of crystals, such as their band structure and conductivity. It helps us predict how electrons will behave in different materials, which is important for designing new materials with specific properties.

5. Are there any simplifications or approximations made in the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice?

Yes, there are simplifications and approximations made in the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice, such as the use of the effective mass approximation and the neglect of electron-electron interactions. These simplifications help make the equation more manageable and allow us to make predictions about the behavior of electrons in crystals.