1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    ive been asked to show that the function of Y(x) = A sin (x) = 0 is a solution to the equation of

where the Y is meant to be the lowercase wavefunctio psi....i just cant get it to work on this :(

basiaclly im completly stuck. Im not really sure what to do!! any help would be much appreciated :)

many thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You're supposed to plug Y(x) into the differential equation and compute the derivatives.
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    yer thats what ive just been reading but i am unsure of the value of Y

thanks for quick reply :)
  5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    sorry what i meant was that i am unsure of the value of A in th function. I understand kind of how to do the rest its just the A that has thrown me

and also i made a mistake the function is Y(x) = A sin (kx) not as stated above
  6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

Homework Helper

The A is a constant. It will be pretty obvious what that A is when you plug the solution into the differential equation. Do this and please show your work. I can't say much more until you have done that without giving away the answer.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  7. Apr 24, 2010 #6
    is a just the quatum numbers (n=1,2,3...)
    ha ha i bet its right in front of me isnt it
  8. Apr 24, 2010 #7

Homework Helper

Why aren't you plugging the solution into the differential equation as I have asked you to do three times now?
  9. Apr 28, 2010 #8
    Try doing it the other way round: try taking the solution, and differentiating it twice. See what that gives you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook