1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached photo

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

Just hoping someone could give me a hand with this.

I think I need to convert polar coords into y and z using trig then perform an addition of the wavefunctions as the linear transform says, finally using the eular's formulae to simplify the exponentials resulting in the answer....I'm just not a hundred percent sure on how to do it. Any help would be awesome.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'd do it in the opposite order. Add the wave functions first and simplify. Then convert to Cartesian coordinates.

In any case, even though you may not see how it's going to work out already, just start chugging away on it. It should become clear as you work on it.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, just take the linear combination that the problem suggests. Then see if you can identify y and z (in polar form) in your expression.

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4
    thanks for the replies...bit late now so Ill do it in the morning, btu can you refresh me on how the take the linear

6. Aug 12, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you understand what the problem means by the notation d+1 and d-1?

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6
    d orbital means l = 2.
    +1 and -1 are values of m.

8. Aug 12, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I know you know. :smile: I want to know if KingBigness knows.

9. Aug 12, 2011 #8
    Yes I see that and I understand most of it I just can't figure out where it all fits... guess that means I don't understand it haha

Just not sure how to use a linear combination...I'm sure it is something easy and I'll feel like an idiot when I see the answer but right now I just don't

10. Aug 12, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just plug the functions into that expression and simplify. I'm not sure any of us sees where you're getting confused (and we won't until we can see your stab at solving the problem).

11. Aug 12, 2011 #10
    Thanks for all your help woke up this morning has a stab and got it. Felt like and idiot after I solved it! Haha
    Sorry for all the confusion just wasn't thinking straight.
    Thanks again for all your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook