Solving Schrodinger Equation: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about a question in spherical coordinates where the person is having difficulty with finding the term x^2-y^2. They receive help from other users and are able to solve the problem by converting to complex exponentials and simplifying their answer. They also double check their work to ensure there are no mistakes.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

See attached photo

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have no idea if I have even started this problem correctly so any help would be nice.

My working is set out in one of the pictures.

Any help would be appreciated I really am not quite sure what to do. Can't figure out where the x^2-y^2 comes from.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-23 at 11.41.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-23 at 11.41.26 AM.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Screen shot 2011-08-23 at 12.02.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-23 at 12.02.41 PM.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi KingBigness! :wink:
KingBigness said:
Can't figure out where the x^2-y^2 comes from.

I'm guessing really, since this isn't my field :redface:, but if you replace r2sin2θcos2φ by r2sin2θ(cos2φ - sin2φ), that looks like x2 - y2 :smile:

Leave the r2 alone for now and use the fact that[tex]\cos \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]to get rid of the complex exponentials.

Thank you both for that, I shall try that and let you know how I go

Ok I tried that and out came the x^2-y^2

Thank you for that tip.

This is the answer I have ended up with can you let me know if it is correct or if I need to simplify it more? not really sure when to stop =\

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 343
I lied above...I brought the sin theta squared in before I converted which got rid of the sin theta squared in the final answer.

Is this now correct?

Yes, that's right, because in spherical coordinates x = r sin θ cos φ and y = r sin θ sin φ.

vela said:
Yes, that's right, because in spherical coordinates x = r sin θ cos φ and y = r sin θ sin φ.

Sweet finally got this question complete!

Thank you. Will double check all my algebra later to make sure I haven't done a silly mistake.

Thanks again for your help

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how particles, such as electrons, behave in a quantum system. It is a key equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or state.

2. Why is solving the Schrodinger Equation important?

The Schrodinger Equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems, which is crucial for many fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It has also led to important advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and lasers.

3. What are the challenges in solving the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a complex differential equation and can be challenging to solve analytically. It also involves working with high-dimensional systems, which can be computationally demanding. Additionally, there are some cases where exact solutions are not possible, and approximations must be used.

4. What techniques are used to solve the Schrodinger Equation?

There are several methods for solving the Schrodinger Equation, including numerical methods, perturbation theory, and variational methods. Each of these techniques has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being studied.

5. How is the Schrodinger Equation applied in real-world scenarios?

The Schrodinger Equation has many applications in areas such as quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It is used to predict the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, understand the properties of materials, and design new technologies. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum algorithms and quantum computing systems.