Solving Schrodinger Eq.: Quantum #s for n=0,1,2

In summary, the solution of the Schrodinger equation for an atom depends on four quantum numbers: the principal n, the orbital l, magnetic m1, and spin Ms. The possible values for these quantum numbers are n= 1, 2, 3, 4, ... (integers); l = 0, 1, 2, ... (n-1); m1 = -1, -1+1,...0...1-1, 1; and Ms = -1/2, 1/2. To determine the values for n=0,1,2, one must first determine the values for n=1, and then use those values to determine the values for n=
Airplane7

Homework Statement

The solution of the Schrodinger equation for atom depends on four quantum numbers: the principal n, the orbital l, magnetic m1, and the spin Ms
n = 1, 2, 3, 4, ... (integers)
l = 0, 1, 2, ... (n-1)
m1 = -1, -1+1,...0...1-1, 1
Ms = -1/2, 1/2
List all possible values of n, l, m1, and ms for n= 0,1,2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no clue what the question is asking.. It is exactly how the professor typed it up as.. Can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone give me a hint on how to figure out the solution?

Begin with n=0. What are then the possible values for the other 3 quantum numbers ? Then the same question for n=1, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, n=1, of course. :D So n=1, what's l equal to ?

Last edited:
How is this in advanced physics?

Moderator's note: I have moved this thread to Introductory Physics. In the future, please post questions of this level in Introductory Physics.

By the way, there is a problem with n=0. I would start with n=1 instead.

sandy.bridge said:
How is this in advanced physics?

Sorry, I'm new to the forum..

What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger, who first derived it in 1925.

What do the quantum numbers n=0,1,2 represent in the Schrodinger Equation?

The quantum numbers n=0,1,2 refer to the principal quantum number, which represents the energy level or shell of an electron in an atom. The value of n can range from 0 to infinity, with n=0 representing the lowest energy state. As n increases, the energy level and distance from the nucleus also increase.

How is the Schrodinger Equation used to solve for quantum numbers?

The Schrodinger Equation is used to solve for the allowed energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum system. By solving the equation, we can determine the energy and spatial distribution of an electron in an atom. The quantum numbers n=0,1,2 are used to label these energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions.

What is the significance of the Schrodinger Equation in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

The Schrodinger Equation is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level because it provides a mathematical framework for describing the wave-like nature of matter. It allows us to make predictions about the probabilities of finding a particle at a certain location or with a certain energy. Without the Schrodinger Equation, we would not be able to accurately describe and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger Equation?

While the Schrodinger Equation is a powerful tool for understanding quantum systems, it does have some limitations. It is a non-relativistic equation, meaning it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. It also does not account for the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons. Additionally, it only applies to non-interacting particles, so it cannot fully describe systems with multiple particles interacting with each other.