Solving the Schrodinger Equation for 1D Electron Motion

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Schrodinger's equation for the one-dimensional motion of an electron not acted upon by any forces. The recommended steps are to use the time independent form of the equation and let V(x) = 0. To show that the total energy is not quantized, one must find the general solution of the equation and show that any value of E leads to an acceptable solution with no boundary conditions. However, for a free particle, the wavefunction is not normalizable and it is recommended to work with wavepackets instead.
irony of truth
I am trying to find the Schrodinger's equation for the one-dimensional motion of an electron, not acted upon by any forces.

So.. should I begin using the time independent form of the Schrodinger's equation? What should I arrive at? Should I let my V(x) = 0?

Also, how do I show that the total energy of that particular schrodinger's equation is not quantized?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the general form of the SE's equation...?What's the free particle's Hamiltonian...?

Daniel.

irony of truth said:
So.. should I begin using the time independent form of the Schrodinger's equation?

Yes.

Should I let my V(x) = 0?

Yes.

Also, how do I show that the total energy of that particular schrodinger's equation is not quantized?

Find the general solution of your Schrödinger equation, and show that any value of E leads to an acceptable solution for your boundary conditions. Of course, you don't really have any boundary conditions, which simplifies matters! (unlike the infinite square well a.k.a. "particle in a box" where the boundary conditions restrict the acceptable values of E to a discrete set)

Thank you for your helps... I can manage from here... E = (hbar)k^2 / (2m) >= 0

That's right.And the "k" wan take any real value...Making the energy spectrum the real positive semiaxis.

Daniel.

jtbell said:
Of course, you don't really have any boundary conditions
You do have boundary conditions, you have to require that your solution goes to zero at infinity, otherwise your solution is not normalizable.
For a free particle, that actually represents a big problem, since the free particle wavefunction ([tex]e^{ipx/\hbar[/tex]) isn't nomalizable!
That's the reason one should really work with wavepackets in the cases where [tex]V(x) = 0[/tex], those are normalizable.
Almost any textbook in quantum mechanics has a discussion on that particular topic.

Last edited:

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of a quantum system, such as an electron, in terms of its wave function. It was developed by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. Why is it important to solve the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion?

Solving the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion allows us to understand the behavior and properties of electrons in one-dimensional systems, such as atoms and molecules. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter at a fundamental level.

3. What are the methods used to solve the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion?

There are several methods used to solve the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion, including analytical methods (such as the separation of variables technique) and numerical methods (such as the finite difference method or the variational method).

4. How does solving the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, and solving it for 1D electron motion helps us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems. This understanding has led to many advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and lasers.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion?

While solving the Schrodinger Equation for 1D electron motion has been extremely valuable in understanding quantum systems, it does have limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of relativity or interactions between multiple particles, which are important in more complex systems.