1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger probability problem

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    Here's my problem:
    Using the normalization constant A=(mw/h*pi)^(1/4) and a = mw/2h, evaluate the probability to find an oscillator in the ground state beyond the classical turning points -A0 and A0. Assume A0= .1nm an k = 1 eV/square nm. The h variables actually represent h/2pi.

The wave function for the ground state is Ae^(-a*x^2). So the square of the wave function is A^2*e^(-2*a*x^2), which I will integrate as x ranges from .1 to infinity.
    I found A^2 to be 1.0735 nm^-1 and a = 1.8102 nm^-2.
    Subsituting these values and integrating yields .394 (probability of finding the oscillator beyond A0). This seems awfully large. What am I doing wrong? Could I possibly have a problem with units?

Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2
    Assuming you have calculated correctly, such large value is possible as you are trying to squeeze to wavefunction in a small space; atomic order. So a wavefunction with such a large curvature leads to a large kinetic energy. As kinetic energy is twice the derivative of "x". With a large kinetic energy this may be possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?