1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger using a Hermite Polynomial

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Can some1 help me solve a first energy level Schrodinger ([tex]\psi_{1}[/tex])with a the Hermite polynomial and also show that it equals to [tex]\frac{3}{2}\hbar \omega[/tex]?

I got as far as
    [tex]
    \newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }\frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \ \pd{\Psi}{x}{2} + V \Psi = \frac{\hbar}{2m} (2N_{1}\frac{x}{\alpha}e^\frac{-1}{2\alpha^2}x^2(\frac{1}{\alpha^2}+\frac{1}{\alpha^4}x^2)
    [/tex]

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it for the simple 1D-HO...?That one has Hermite polynomials as eigenfunctions...

If so,how about checking any book on QM (any,all treat 1D-HO) for the famous algebraic method...?

U'll then get the [itex] \psi_{1}(x) [/itex] by applying the creation operator on the ground state...

Daniel.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    The problem says: confirm that the 1st excited state wavefunction of a 1D HO given by the Hermitian equation

[tex] H_{1}(y)= 2y y = \frac{x}{\alpha}, \alpha = (\frac{\hbar^2}{mk})^\frac{1}{4}
    [/tex]

is a solution of the Schrodinger equation and that the energy is [tex]\frac{3}{2}\hbar\omega[/tex].

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \psi_{1}(x)=:\langle x|1\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \hat{H}=\hbar\omega\left(\hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a}+\frac{1}{2}\hat{1}\right) [/tex]

[tex] \langle x|\hat{H}|1\rangle =\hbar\omega \left(\langle x|\hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a}|1\rangle +\frac{1}{2} \langle x|\hat{1}|1 \rangle \right) = \hbar\omega \left\langle x\left|\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\right)\right|1 \right\rangle=\frac{3}{2} \hbar\omega \langle x|1\rangle [/tex]

which means

[tex] \hat{H}\psi_{1}(x)=\left(\frac{3}{2}\hbar\omega\right) \psi_{1}(x) [/tex]

Q.e.d.

NOTE:I made use of

[tex] \left \{\begin{array}{c} \hat{a}|n\rangle =\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle ,\ \mbox{for} \ n=1 \\ \hat{a}^{\dagger}|n\rangle =\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle ,\ \mbox{for} \ n=0 \end{array} \right [/tex]

which are typical for the operators which form the famous Heisenberg algebra of the 1D-HO.

Daniel.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    Yes... in order to show that a solution satisfies the equation, you don't actually have to solve the equation! Just substitute the proposed solution in and see if the resulting statement is true.

7. Apr 7, 2005 #6
    I don't know bracket notation or what a means, but I put it in the HW I turning in.

8. Apr 7, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the only elegant way to do it,really.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?