1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödinger eq. with 3D spherical potential

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1

I'm trying to solve some old exam exercises to prepare for my qm exam next week.
    Now I got a question I dont have any idea how to solve it. I hope somebody can help me:

"The radial Schrödinger equation in the case of a 3D spherical symmetric potential V(r) can be written in the form

-h^2/(2*m) * d^2u/dr^2 + [V(r) + (l*(l+1) / r^2)]*u = E*u

where u(r) = r*R(r). If V is attractive and vanishes exponentially at infinity, how does u(r) behave asymptotically for bound states?"

Thanks for helping!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2
    What can you say about the effective potential as [tex]r\rightarrow \infty[/tex]? That should give you a pretty good idea of where to start. Also, I think this belongs in Homework Help.
  4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    as r-> inf, the potential goes to zero and the second term in the effective potential goes rapidly to zero (as there is a r^2)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?