Schrödinger Equation for the fusion of Deuterium(2H) and a Proton(H)

In summary, the conversation is about a person's experiment with the Schrödinger's equation and their search for a specific function related to the fusion of Deuterium and Proton. They ask for help and receive a response about using a spherical Coulomb potential. Later, they clarify their question and the conversation shifts to discussing the functional form of the proton-proton or proton-neutron interaction. It is suggested that this can be derived from QCD and that the important quantities are interaction cross sections and energy eigenvalues. The conversation concludes with a suggestion for using a muffin tin potential as an approach.
Viridun
In fact I am not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question but I'm going to ask anyways, just tell me if I am in the wrong place.
So I doing a little experiment with the Schröndinger's equation, but the problem is I can't find a certain function.
You all know the Schrödingers equation has variable for a function V(x) in the differential equation.

Now i need a specific one I need the one for the fusion of Deuterium(2H) and a Proton(H), but I can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is just a charged particle in the electric field of the proton, so you need a spherical Coulomb potential. If that's not useful for you then you may as well stop trying and instead learn about electromagnetism :)

Gigaz said:
The electron is just a charged particle in the electric field of the proton, so you need a spherical Coulomb potential. If that's not useful for you then you may as well stop trying and instead learn about electromagnetism :)
I know that one, and I also know how the function of that one looks, my problem is that I don't know how to get this together with the function of the strong force.

Ah I see, I think I read something wrong, my apologies.
The functional form of the proton-proton or proton-neutron interaction could in principle be derived from QCD if you have a really good computer. I don't think that it is known, and it is also ultimately not important. The important quantities are interaction cross sections and energy eigenvalues. Sounds funny when you do something like Quantum mechanics I at university level. But a muffin tin potential, where you have a constant very low energy around the nucleus, a wall, and a Coulomb potential outside, that approach is as good as any other.

Gigaz said:
Ah I see, I think I read something wrong, my apologies.
The functional form of the proton-proton or proton-neutron interaction could in principle be derived from QCD if you have a really good computer. I don't think that it is known, and it is also ultimately not important. The important quantities are interaction cross sections and energy eigenvalues. Sounds funny when you do something like Quantum mechanics I at university level. But a muffin tin potential, where you have a constant very low energy around the nucleus, a wall, and a Coulomb potential outside, that approach is as good as any other.

I probably didn't express myself to well with english not being my mother language.

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation for the fusion of Deuterium(2H) and a Proton(H)?

The Schrödinger Equation for the fusion of Deuterium(2H) and a Proton(H) is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and their interactions with each other.

2. How does the Schrödinger Equation predict the fusion of Deuterium(2H) and a Proton(H)?

The Schrödinger Equation uses a mathematical approach called quantum mechanics to predict the probability of particles undergoing fusion. It takes into account various factors such as energy levels, wave functions, and potential energy barriers to determine the likelihood of fusion occurring.

3. What role does Deuterium(2H) and Proton(H) play in the fusion process?

In the fusion process, Deuterium(2H) and Proton(H) are the reactant particles that come together to form a new particle, such as Helium-3 or Helium-4. These particles have a positive charge and are able to overcome the repulsive forces between them to fuse together.

4. How does the Schrödinger Equation impact our understanding of fusion?

The Schrödinger Equation has greatly advanced our understanding of fusion by providing a mathematical framework for predicting and analyzing fusion reactions at the quantum level. It has also helped us develop new technologies and techniques for controlling and harnessing fusion energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger Equation for fusion reactions?

While the Schrödinger Equation is a powerful tool for understanding fusion, it does have its limitations. It does not take into account all possible factors and interactions that may occur in a fusion reaction. Additionally, it is not able to accurately predict the exact timing and rate of fusion events.