Schrödinger Equations in three dimensions

In summary, the author is finding that the book is terrible and does not provide clear concise derivations. There are no good resources that are more helpful than this book. The best resources are Zettili and Griffiths. The author should also watch the IIT video lecture series on QM.
MostlyHarmless
I've come to the point in my homework discussing the above, and more specifically, energy levels, wave functions, excited states etc..

And while I can locate an appropriate formula and plug-n-chug, I'm finding that I have no clue what these equations and numbers actually mean. And(in my personal opinion..) this book is terrible. It seems as though, rather than giving clear concise derivations, detailed examples with redefinition of variables, the author is more interested in historical context and the physicist's personal details. Which, don't get me wrong, is really interesting, but the fact that the discovery of the Photoelectric effect annoyed Hertz isn't going to help me understand why incident light on metal emits electrons. I digress..

My point is, does anyone know of any good resources that would be more helpful than this book(or my brilliant professor whose accent is so thick I get almost nothing from lecture).

I figure having a good source to refer back to will be more efficient than asking a million questions here.

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't a lot of good QM books at the undergrad level (understatement) so you're going to have to settle for the best of the worst.

The best I know of is Zettili: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470026790/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you can find that in your library or elsewhere you should be in good shape. In the family of undergrad QM books it's the one I've found unequivocally the most helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131118927/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Griffiths is also great so check it out if your library doesn't have Zettili.

You should also watch the IIT video lecture series on QM because they're quite brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcmGYe39XG0&list=PL5A6DBFFBEFF3A92E

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffiths gets a good rep, I've not read much of it but I think it's a little too verbose for my tastes.

Cohen-Tannoudji is my go-to reference, it literally has anything imagineable and builds everything from the ground up with lots of rigor. It gets labeled as 'graduate' level but I don't know why. If you have a solid background in linear algebra and calculus, everything in it should be understandable by the 2nd, 3rd or 4th read.

I think Townsend is the best undergrad book, I read the whole thing and worked all the problems and never had trouble in QM. It's basically a gentler Sakurai (guess my favorite grad book).

I also agree that the IIT lectures are very good.

Last edited:
What is "this book"?

Get Shankar. And only use 1 book for the class, don't mix them.

Modern Physics Tipler/Llewellyn. I'll look into some of those

1. What is the Schrödinger equation in three dimensions?

The Schrödinger equation in three dimensions is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum system, such as an atom or a molecule, in three-dimensional space. It is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time.

2. How is the Schrödinger equation applied in three dimensions?

The Schrödinger equation is applied in three dimensions by using three spatial coordinates, x, y, and z, to describe the position of a particle. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of the particle in a three-dimensional space, taking into account the potential energy and forces acting on it.

3. What are the key components of the Schrödinger equation in three dimensions?

The key components of the Schrödinger equation in three dimensions include the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. The equation also takes into account the mass and potential energy of the particle.

4. How does the Schrödinger equation in three dimensions differ from the one-dimensional equation?

The Schrödinger equation in three dimensions differs from the one-dimensional equation in that it takes into account the particle's motion in all three dimensions, rather than just one. This allows for a more accurate description of the particle's behavior in a three-dimensional space and allows for the calculation of different properties, such as angular momentum.

5. What are the applications of the Schrödinger equation in three dimensions?

The Schrödinger equation in three dimensions has many applications in various fields, including quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. It is used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of materials and subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.