How does the von Neumann equation relate to Schrödinger's equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the von Neumann equation and Schrödinger’s equation. The summary highlights the equations involved and the necessary assumptions for deriving the equations. It also addresses the issue of non-uniqueness in the evolution of a pure state and offers two possible ways to formalize it.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Formalism for going from the von Neumann equation to the Schrödinger equation
I was trying to show how to get Schrödinger’s equation from the von Neumann equation and I’m not quite confident enough in my grasp of the functional analysis formalism to believe my own explanation. Starting from
$$i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho=[H,\rho]$$
We have
$$i\hbar\left(\frac{\partial |\psi\rangle}{\partial t}\langle \psi| +|\psi\rangle\frac{\partial \langle\psi|}{\partial t}\right) =H|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|-|\psi\rangle\langle\psi|H$$
Collecting bra and ket terms,
$$\left(i\hbar\frac{\partial |\psi\rangle}{\partial t}-H|\psi\rangle\right)\langle\psi|=|\psi\rangle\left(-i\hbar\frac{\partial\langle\psi|}{\partial t}-\langle\psi|H\right)$$
My hand-wavy explanation is to put everything on one side and zero on the other and claim that the bra and ket coefficients have to go to zero separately. If I just had any two independent vector spaces, this explanation would suffice, but is this still true when the bra space and ket space are dual to one another? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
One cannot derive it without aligning the phases. One just shows that given a wave function satisfying the SE, the corresponding density operator satisfies the von Neumann equation. Assuming the initial-value problem to be uniquely solvable (which amounts to adding smoothness requirements) it is the only solution with a density operator of rank 1. But of course, the wave funcgtion's phase is not yet determined. Again one needs to make some smoothness assumption to get that.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and TeethWhitener
TeethWhitener said:
$$\left(i\hbar\frac{\partial |\psi\rangle}{\partial t}-H|\psi\rangle\right)\langle\psi|=|\psi\rangle\left(-i\hbar\frac{\partial\langle\psi|}{\partial t}-\langle\psi|H\right)$$
Apologies if I’m missing something obvious.
What you can conclude from your equation is that ##i\hbar\frac{\partial |\psi\rangle}{\partial t}-H|\psi\rangle## is parallel to ##|\psi\rangle##. Call the (complex) factor ##\alpha(t)##. Write down the resulting equation and take the adjoint. Insert the two equations obtained into your equation to get a necessary and sufficient condition on this factor. But it will not be uniquely determined.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and TeethWhitener
Thanks for your response! I’ll work through your suggestion when I get a moment.

Also, it’s clear from my original post (and @A. Neumaier ’s response), but I wanted to point out that I edited the summary to correctly reflect my question.

Likes vanhees71 and Klystron
The upshot is that the evolution of the state ket of a pure state is not unique since always a maybe timedependent phase is indetermined. That doesn't affect the uniqueness of the state, because the state is not represented uniquely by the state-ket, but only the state-ket up to this indetermined phase factor.

You can formalize this by either saying that a pure state is represented by a (unit) ray in Hilbert space, i.e., a state ket modulo a phase factor (which can depend on time) or, and that's imho a bit simpler in practice, you define states generally to be presented by statistical operators, and the special case of a pure state is that it is a projector, i.e., fulfilling the equation ##\hat{\rho}^2=\hat{\rho}## in addition to the general constraints (##\hat{\rho}## self-adjoint, ##\mathrm{Tr} \hat{\rho}=1##, and positive semidefiniteness).

Likes TeethWhitener

1. Who were Schrödinger and von Neumann?

Schrödinger and von Neumann were two prominent scientists who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics in the early 20th century. Erwin Schrödinger was an Austrian physicist known for his development of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. John von Neumann was a Hungarian-American mathematician who made important contributions to the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It takes into account the wave-like properties of these particles and allows us to calculate their probabilities of being in different states at a given time.

3. What is the significance of the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of quantum particles. It has been used to make predictions about the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It also laid the groundwork for the development of quantum mechanics as a whole.

4. How did von Neumann contribute to the development of quantum mechanics?

John von Neumann made several important contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He helped to develop the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, including the concept of operators and the use of Hilbert spaces. He also introduced the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics and developed the theory of quantum logic.

5. What is the connection between Schrödinger and von Neumann?

Schrödinger and von Neumann had a close working relationship and collaborated on several projects in the field of quantum mechanics. They both made significant contributions to the development of the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics and their work complemented each other's. They also had a shared interest in the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics, with Schrödinger proposing the famous "Schrödinger's cat" thought experiment and von Neumann developing the concept of quantum measurement.