Is This Wavefunction a Valid Solution for the Schrödinger Equation?

In summary, the given solution for the equation is shown to be a solution by using the second derivative and the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation. The relation between k and E is modified slightly to accurately represent the energy. The time-dependent function is found by assuming the full wavefunction is the product of a spatial function and a time-dependent function, and solving for the latter.
beyondlight

Homework Statement

Show that this solution:

[tex]\psi(x,y,z)=Ae^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

is a solution for this equation:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi(x,y,z)=E\,\psi(x,y,z),[/tex]

How is K related to E?

How does the corresponding timedependent function look like?

The Attempt at a Solution

My second derivative is:

[tex] \psi''(x,y,z)=i^{2}k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r} = -k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r}=-k_x^{2} \cdot \psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) \cdot \psi = E \cdot \psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = E[/tex]

I suppose it is enough to say that

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2})[/tex] is energy? So it automatically satisfies the S.E.? What is the unit of [tex]\psi[/tex]?

But the relation between k and E should then be:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot K = E[/tex]

[tex]\frac{E}{K}= \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

But the last task is a bit more tricky...I will just separate the time-depentent S.E.

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt} \cdot \frac{1}{\psi}[/tex]

Can someone help me from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.

beyondlight said:

Homework Statement

Show that this solution:

[tex]\psi(x,y,z)=Ae^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

is a solution for this equation:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi(x,y,z)=E\,\psi(x,y,z),[/tex]

How is K related to E?

How does the corresponding timedependent function look like?

The Attempt at a Solution

My second derivative is:

[tex] \psi''(x,y,z)=i^{2}k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r} = -k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r}=-k_x^{2} \cdot \psi[/tex]
Small correction: it really should be kxx, kyy, etc. here. And it looks like you are using ψ'' to mean ∂²ψ/∂x². But you have the right idea.

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) \cdot \psi = E \cdot \psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = E[/tex]

I suppose it is enough to say that

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2})[/tex] is energy? So it automatically satisfies the S.E.? What is the unit of [tex]\psi[/tex]?

But the relation between k and E should then be:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot K = E[/tex]

[tex]\frac{E}{K}= \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

Close, but not quite. You are saying that

[itex]k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2 = k^1 [/itex] ?​

I think you need to modify the k1 term, slightly, to have a true statement here.

But the last task is a bit more tricky...I will just separate the time-depentent S.E.

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt} \cdot \frac{1}{\psi}[/tex]

Can someone help me from here?
Let's back up 1 step to

Since ψ is a function of (x,y,z) only, we really need another symbol for the time-dependent part. It's common to assume the full wavefunction is the product of a spatial function (that's ψ(x,y,z) ) and a time-dependent function (call it f(t)). So you want to put ψ(x,y,z)·f(t) into the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation, and work out what f(t) is.

Hope that helps. By the way, \partial will give you the partial derivative symbol in LaTeX.

1. What is Schrödinger's homework?

Schrödinger's homework refers to the homework assignments or problems related to the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How do I solve problems related to the Schrödinger equation?

To solve problems related to the Schrödinger equation, you need to have a good understanding of its mathematical formulation and principles. It also requires knowledge of linear algebra and complex analysis. Practice and understanding of the underlying concepts are key to successfully solving Schrödinger's homework.

3. What are the common misconceptions about the Schrödinger equation?

One of the most common misconceptions about the Schrödinger equation is that it describes the movement of particles. In reality, it describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. Another misconception is that it only applies to small particles, while in fact it can be applied to systems of any size.

4. Can I get help with my Schrödinger homework?

Yes, there are many resources available for Schrödinger homework help. You can seek help from your teacher or professor, consult textbooks and online resources, or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together.

5. How is the Schrödinger equation relevant in real life?

The Schrödinger equation has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic level, which has implications in the development of new technologies and advancements in various industries such as electronics and material sciences.