1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödinger homework help

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that this solution:

[tex]\psi(x,y,z)=Ae^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

is a solution for this equation:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi(x,y,z)=E\,\psi(x,y,z),[/tex]

How is K related to E?

How does the corresponding timedependent function look like?

3. The attempt at a solution

My second derivative is:

[tex] \psi''(x,y,z)=i^{2}k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r} = -k_x^{2}A \cdot e^{ik_x*r} \cdot e^{ik_y*r} \cdot e^{ik_z*r}=-k_x^{2} \cdot \psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) \cdot \psi = E \cdot \psi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = E[/tex]

I suppose it is enough to say that

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2})[/tex] is energy? So it automatically satisfies the S.E.? What is the unit of [tex]\psi[/tex]?

But the relation between k and E should then be:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot (k_x^{2} + k_y^{2} + k_z^{2}) = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \cdot K = E[/tex]

[tex]\frac{E}{K}= \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

But the last task is a bit more tricky...I will just separate the time-depentent S.E.

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt} \cdot \frac{1}{\psi}[/tex]

Can someone help me from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Schrödinger

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Small correction: it really should be kxx, kyy, etc. here. And it looks like you are using ψ'' to mean ∂²ψ/∂x². But you have the right idea.

Close, but not quite. You are saying that

[itex]k_x^2 + k_y^2 + k_z^2 = k^1 [/itex] ???​

I think you need to modify the k1 term, slightly, to have a true statement here.

Let's back up 1 step to

[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\Delta \psi = i\hbar \frac{d\psi}{dt}[/tex]

Since ψ is a function of (x,y,z) only, we really need another symbol for the time-dependent part. It's common to assume the full wavefunction is the product of a spatial function (that's ψ(x,y,z) ) and a time-dependent function (call it f(t)). So you want to put ψ(x,y,z)·f(t) into the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation, and work out what f(t) is.

Hope that helps. By the way, \partial will give you the partial derivative symbol in LaTeX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook