Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödinger's cat

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    hello ,
    i would like to find out somoething more abaut this experiment, i got the general drift , but what is it for? What advantages can we gain in our life from this? I trully believe that someone can help me, looking froward to answer
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a thought experiment that proves that if QM is correct, and microscopic systems can be in superpositions, then macroscopic objects can be in superpositions too. The "advantage" it gives us is a (slightly) better understanding of QM.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might also want to browse this forum, or do a search. There's already a huge number of threads discussing this exact topic.

Zz.

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    ok, thanks for very quickly reply, and sorry for interrupting you, as you see i am a 'teddler' on this site , so forgive me -.-

6. Feb 14, 2010 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... there is nothing to apologize for. Your question is totally appropriate.

Zz.

7. Feb 15, 2010 #6
    If you'd really like a headache, do a little research on Wigner's Friend. That might well give you some insight into why the thought experiment has such a deep impact in the world of Quantum Mechanics (QM).

Welcome by the way!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook