Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schroedinger's Cat

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    To begin, I am an avid physics enthusiast and after reading countless books, there are a few questions that pester me in reference to the probability of an electrons location and the 'observer' which changes the electrons location or speed.

I understand that if you observe the electron, you cannot get an accurate reading, and that if you look at the electron, because it is in a super-position state and is merely a probability, its history does not exist until it is observed.

What then, is doing the observing? Is it human consciousness, photons, or simple matter interactions? Could anyone please explain this to me as simply as possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Observation does not have to be conscious; it is any form of interaction where the particle's location will be determined. So, any or all of the 'whats' you mention will do.

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3
    That's what I thought, thank you very much!

5. Jul 31, 2010 #4
    With that solved, however, in what instance is an electron not being interacted with, or is there ever a situation in which this occurs?

If it is the case in which the situation never occurs, then why is this relevant?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook