Schroedinger's Cat: Exploring Physics and the Observer

• Thread starter J.W. Coleman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of observation in quantum physics and how it affects the behavior of electrons. It is explained that observation can be any form of interaction and does not have to be conscious. The relevance of this concept is questioned, and it is clarified that there is never a situation where an electron is not being interacted with.
J.W. Coleman
To begin, I am an avid physics enthusiast and after reading countless books, there are a few questions that pester me in reference to the probability of an electrons location and the 'observer' which changes the electrons location or speed.

I understand that if you observe the electron, you cannot get an accurate reading, and that if you look at the electron, because it is in a super-position state and is merely a probability, its history does not exist until it is observed.

What then, is doing the observing? Is it human consciousness, photons, or simple matter interactions? Could anyone please explain this to me as simply as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Observation does not have to be conscious; it is any form of interaction where the particle's location will be determined. So, any or all of the 'whats' you mention will do.

That's what I thought, thank you very much!

With that solved, however, in what instance is an electron not being interacted with, or is there ever a situation in which this occurs?

If it is the case in which the situation never occurs, then why is this relevant?

1. What is Schroedinger's Cat experiment?

Schroedinger's Cat experiment is a thought experiment created by Austrian physicist Erwin Schroedinger in 1935. It is a paradox that illustrates the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics, where an object can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment involves placing a cat in a sealed box with a vial of poison, a radioactive substance, and a Geiger counter. The release of the poison is determined by the decay of the radioactive substance, which is a random event. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened, the cat is both alive and dead, in a state of superposition.

3. What is the significance of this experiment?

Schroedinger's Cat experiment highlights the concept of superposition and the role of the observer in quantum mechanics. It challenges our understanding of reality and the relationship between the observer and the observed.

4. What are the implications of this experiment?

The experiment raises questions about the nature of reality and the limitations of our perception. It also has implications for the field of quantum computing, where the concept of superposition is used to perform multiple calculations simultaneously.

5. Has this experiment been conducted in real life?

No, Schroedinger's Cat experiment is a thought experiment and has not been conducted in real life. It was created to illustrate the principles of quantum mechanics and cannot be replicated in the physical world.