Exploring the Mystery of Blank Spaces in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and the question of why the space in orbitals between clusters of probability is blank. It is explained that this is a result of solving Schrodinger's equation for electrons under the influence of the Coulomb force. It is also noted that this is a complex topic that requires advanced mathematics and that there is no deeper mechanism that can explain why the universe works according to Schrodinger's equation.
Danilo Boskovic
So, I am kind of learning QM on my own, and through my chemistry book. It doesn't explain any further than the shapes of orbitals, and I am wondering did anyone found out why is space in the orbitals between the clusters of probability blank.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is no simple answer to that question which would not require advanced mathematics appearing when one explicitly solves the Schrodinger equation.

Danilo Boskovic said:
So, I'm kind of learning QM on my own, and through my chemistry book. It doesn't explain any further than the shapes of orbitals, and I am wondering did anyone found out why is space in the orbitals between the clusters of probability blank.

That's the result that you get when you solve Schrodinger's equation for electrons moving under the influence of the Coulomb force between them and the nucleus. If you google for "Schrodinger equation hydrogen atom" you'll find many derivations of this result for hydrogen, which is the simplest case - one electron whose mass is small compared with that of the nucleus. (You'll also find out why your chemistry book doesn't go into these details :smile:)

If you're asking if there's some deeper mechanism that says it has to come out this way, that's tantamount to asking why the universe works according to Schrodinger's equation, and science can't answer that question.

Last edited:
not really into spending time in learning new math right now.. i got an university entrance examination to pass :D . Thanks anyways. I will look into it later when i have time.

1. What are blank spaces in quantum mechanics?

Blank spaces in quantum mechanics refer to areas in the quantum realm where particles cannot be definitively located or measured. They are considered to be regions of uncertainty or probability, rather than definite positions.

2. How are blank spaces related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Blank spaces in quantum mechanics are a manifestation of this principle, as they represent areas where the exact position of a particle cannot be determined.

3. Can blank spaces be observed or measured?

No, blank spaces cannot be observed or measured directly. They are a theoretical concept used to describe the inherent uncertainty in the quantum world.

4. What do blank spaces tell us about the nature of reality?

Blank spaces in quantum mechanics demonstrate that the rules of classical physics do not apply in the quantum realm. They suggest that physical reality is not as definite and predictable as it appears in our everyday lives.

5. How do scientists study and explore blank spaces in quantum mechanics?

Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to study and explore blank spaces in quantum mechanics. They also rely on thought experiments and theoretical frameworks to understand and make predictions about the behavior of particles in these uncertain regions.