Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödingers Eqn -- why is space in the orbitals between the clusters of probability blank

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    So, im kind of learning QM on my own, and through my chemistry book. It doesnt explain any further than the shapes of orbitals, and im wondering did anyone found out why is space in the orbitals between the clusters of probability blank.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I think there is no simple answer to that question which would not require advanced mathematics appearing when one explicitly solves the Schrodinger equation.

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That's the result that you get when you solve Schrodinger's equation for electrons moving under the influence of the Coulomb force between them and the nucleus. If you google for "Schrodinger equation hydrogen atom" you'll find many derivations of this result for hydrogen, which is the simplest case - one electron whose mass is small compared with that of the nucleus. (You'll also find out why your chemistry book doesn't go into these details :smile:)

If you're asking if there's some deeper mechanism that says it has to come out this way, that's tantamount to asking why the universe works according to Schrodinger's equation, and science can't answer that question.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. Aug 11, 2015 #4
    not really into spending time in learning new math right now.. i got an university entrance examination to pass :D . Thanks anyways. I will look into it later when i have time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook