Schrödinger's equation: a diffusion or a wave equation?

In summary, the Schrödinger's equation is often claimed to be a wave equation, but it has properties that make it more similar to a diffusion or heat equation. However, a Wick rotation in QFT can make it a wave equation. It is Galilean invariant and its determinant qualifies it as a parabolic PDE. The standard criterion for parabolicity assumes real dynamical variables, making the claim that the Schrödinger equation is parabolic incorrect. In a diffusion equation or any parabolic equation, wavelike excitations decay to an equilibrium state, but in the Schrödinger equation, wavelike initial conditions persist, making it a wave equation. Wick rotation removes the factor ##i
fluidistic
Gold Member
From many sources (Internet, Landau & Lifshitz, etc.), it is claimed that the Schrödinger's equation is a wave equation. However I do not understand why for the following reasons:

• It is Galilean invariant, unlike the wave equation which is Lorentz invariant. Note that the diffusion/heat equation is also Galilean invariant.
  • If one takes the free particle localized in a finite region at time t0, then at any instant afterwards, the wavefunction will have non zero values arbitrarily far away from that region. I.e. there is a diffusion without any speed limit, of the wavepacket. That's another point making the Schrödinger equation looking more like the heat equation than the wave equation.
  • Mathematically its determinant is such that the Schrödinger's equation qualifies as a parabolic PDE, same as the heat equation and unlike the wave equation (hyperbolic).
On IRC someone said something about a Wick rotation in QFT (and there is an obscure Wikipedia sentence about it), and that apparently this makes the Schrödinger's equation a wave equation rather than a diffusion or heat one. Can someone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard criterion for parabolicity assumes real dynamical variables, hence your corresponding claim is wrong.

In a diffusion equation or any parabolic euation, wavelike excitations decay to an equilibrium state. But wavelike initial conditions in solutions of the Schrödinger equations persist. This makes it a wave equation, not parabolic.

Wick rotation removes the factor ##i## from the Schrödinger equation and turns it into a diffusion equation.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and fluidistic
fluidistic said:
It is Galilean invariant, unlike the wave equation which is Lorentz invariant

What is "the" wave equation? There are many wave equations. Some are Galilean invariant, some are Lorentz invariant.

Likes fluidistic and vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
The standard criterion for parabolicity assumes real dynamical variables, hence yuour corresponding claim is rong.)
Thanks a lot! I was unaware of this!

Arnold said:
In a diffusion equation or any parabolic euation, wavelike excitations decay to an equilibrium state. But wavelike initial conditions in solutions of the Schrödinger equations persist. This makes it a wave equation, not parabolic.
Hmm, let's take the free particle initially as a localized wave packet. The equilibrium state is the total uncertainty in spatial space. After an infinite amount of time, the information of where the particle was initially localized, is lost. It is exactly the same as in the case of say an infinite rod that had initially a heat source that was later removed. After an infinite (or extremely large) time, the information of where that perturbation was applied is lost.
Am I missing something here?

Arnold said:
Wick rtation removes the factor ##i## from the Schrödinger equation and turns it into a diffusion equation.
I see. I thought there was something much deeper than that.

PeterDonis said:
What is "the" wave equation? There are many wave equations. Some are Galilean invariant, some are Lorentz invariant.
Whoops, I had in mind the one of the E and B fields that satisfy Maxwell equation.

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time.

2. Is Schrödinger's equation a diffusion equation or a wave equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a wave equation. It describes the evolution of a quantum system over time in terms of wave-like properties, such as amplitude and phase. It is not a diffusion equation, which describes the spread of a substance or energy from a higher concentration to a lower concentration.

3. What is the significance of Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is significant because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles, which are fundamental building blocks of matter. It has been used to explain many phenomena in the field of quantum mechanics, including the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

4. Who developed Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926. He was one of the pioneers of quantum mechanics and received a Nobel Prize in Physics in 1933 for his contributions to the field.

5. Can Schrödinger's equation be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, Schrödinger's equation is only applicable to microscopic objects, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It does not accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic objects, which follow classical physics laws. However, it can be used to describe the behavior of large numbers of particles, such as in the field of condensed matter physics.