Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Greetings all!

I'm completely new to Quantum Mechanics (my PhD research is in Computer Vision) and I am planning to apply some concepts to my research.

I would like to know whether it's possible to get the Wave Equation over the components of a [itex]\mathbf{B}=(B_\phi,B_r,B_z)[/itex] field induced by a straight infinite wire charged with current density [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex]. I.e [itex]\Psi(B_\phi,B_r, B_z)[/itex]. Basically I want the quantum solution to the classical problem of finding the induced B field by a charged wire of infinite length.

Is this something heard of? If so does anyone have a reference/lead?

I'm assuming QED deals with particles that enter such electromagnetic fields and the wave function is over the postion/impulse of the particles and not the field components at a particular position. Is this correct?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted