Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrödinger's equation to Dirac's

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

The Shrödinger's equation is [itex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi (\vec r, t) }{\partial t}=-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \nabla ^2 \Psi (\vec r ,t ) + V(\vec r ) \Psi (\vec r ,t)[/itex].
    Where m is the mass of the considered particle at rest. I would like to know why the pass to the relativistic equation isn't as simple as changing m for [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex].
    Say, if instead of using "m" in the Schrödinger's equation, I use [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex] where [itex]m_0[/itex] is the mass of the particle at rest and gamma is Lorentz factor, what would I obtain? Wouldn't this be a more accurate equation than Schrödinger's?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's related to why you can't substitute [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex] for m in the non-relativistic kinetic energy equation, and thereby get the relativistic kinetic energy.

The terms of the SE, as you've written it, correspond to the statement

total energy = kinetic energy + potential energy

using the classical relationship between kinetic energy and momentum, [itex]K = p^2 / 2m[/itex].

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In relativistic quantum mechanics the terms in an equation for a wave function must transform according to some representation of the Lorentz group (just like in relativistic mechanics). You can't achieve that simply by introducing some gamma-factors

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook