Schrödinger's equation to Dirac's

In summary, the Schrödinger's equation represents the total energy of a particle at rest and can be modified for relativistic effects by using the Lorentz factor. However, this modification is not as simple as substituting it for the mass term, as it must also account for transformations under the Lorentz group.
fluidistic
Gold Member
The Shrödinger's equation is [itex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi (\vec r, t) }{\partial t}=-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \nabla ^2 \Psi (\vec r ,t ) + V(\vec r ) \Psi (\vec r ,t)[/itex].
Where m is the mass of the considered particle at rest. I would like to know why the pass to the relativistic equation isn't as simple as changing m for [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex].
Say, if instead of using "m" in the Schrödinger's equation, I use [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex] where [itex]m_0[/itex] is the mass of the particle at rest and gamma is Lorentz factor, what would I obtain? Wouldn't this be a more accurate equation than Schrödinger's?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I would like to know why the pass to the relativistic equation isn't as simple as changing m for [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex].

It's related to why you can't substitute [itex]\gamma m_0[/itex] for m in the non-relativistic kinetic energy equation, and thereby get the relativistic kinetic energy.

The terms of the SE, as you've written it, correspond to the statement

total energy = kinetic energy + potential energy

using the classical relationship between kinetic energy and momentum, [itex]K = p^2 / 2m[/itex].

In relativistic quantum mechanics the terms in an equation for a wave function must transform according to some representation of the Lorentz group (just like in relativistic mechanics). You can't achieve that simply by introducing some gamma-factors

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical formula that describes how the quantum state of a physical system evolves over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time.

2. What is Dirac's equation?

Dirac's equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It combines the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics and provides a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at high speeds.

3. How do Schrödinger's equation and Dirac's equation differ?

Schrödinger's equation is non-relativistic, meaning it does not take into account the effects of high speeds. Dirac's equation, on the other hand, is relativistic and accounts for the effects of special relativity. Additionally, Dirac's equation includes spin, whereas Schrödinger's equation does not.

4. Why was Dirac's equation developed?

Dirac's equation was developed in order to reconcile the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics. Schrödinger's equation could not accurately describe the behavior of particles at high speeds, leading to the need for a more comprehensive equation.

5. How are Schrödinger's equation and Dirac's equation used in modern physics?

Schrödinger's equation and Dirac's equation are both used in modern physics to help understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles. They are essential tools in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum chemistry.