Schrödinger's equation

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
I went through a whole calculus book and I didn't find anything that resembled sch eq. I specifically wanted to learn about that. What do you think the chapter will be called that introduced the math necessary for sch eq? Maybe it's in multivariable calculus.

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
I went through a whole calculus book and I didn't find anything that resembled sch eq. I specifically wanted to learn about that. What do you think the chapter will be called that introduced the math necessary for sch eq? Maybe it's in multivariable calculus.
Well you'll probably be hard pressed to find a physics concept in a math text :P

Dealing with Schrodinger's equations involves mathematics beyond calculus. You need to know partial differential equations and linear algebra to get into the uses of Schrodinger's Equations.

thanks, that's what I needed to know. By the way, what's the difference between vector calculus and linear algebra.

Linear Algebra - Deals with equations and transformations, all in one variable

Vector Calculus - Deals with Calculus in 3D. - Its nothing but multivariable calculus!

and you are never going to find Schrodinger eqn derivation in a math book. Look for it in a Post Grad's Physics book. or here is a link. Its not easy to understand the derivation at the first go, but never give up. You'll understand it after a day or two(to be very optimistic). Nevertheless, best of luck.

http://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys201/LectureNotes/SchrodingerEqn.pdf

regards,
math_way