Unlocking Schrödinger's Equation: A Guide Through Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation revolves around the quest for understanding Schrodinger's equations and the necessary mathematics involved. The speaker suggests that the topic may be found in multivariable calculus, but the other participant points out that it requires knowledge of partial differential equations and linear algebra. It is mentioned that the derivation of the equations may not be easily found in a math textbook, but can be found in a post-graduate physics book or online.
bobsmith76
I went through a whole calculus book and I didn't find anything that resembled sch eq. I specifically wanted to learn about that. What do you think the chapter will be called that introduced the math necessary for sch eq? Maybe it's in multivariable calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
I went through a whole calculus book and I didn't find anything that resembled sch eq. I specifically wanted to learn about that. What do you think the chapter will be called that introduced the math necessary for sch eq? Maybe it's in multivariable calculus.

Well you'll probably be hard pressed to find a physics concept in a math text :P

Dealing with Schrodinger's equations involves mathematics beyond calculus. You need to know partial differential equations and linear algebra to get into the uses of Schrodinger's Equations.

thanks, that's what I needed to know. By the way, what's the difference between vector calculus and linear algebra.

Linear Algebra - Deals with equations and transformations, all in one variable

Vector Calculus - Deals with Calculus in 3D. - Its nothing but multivariable calculus!

and you are never going to find Schrodinger eqn derivation in a math book. Look for it in a Post Grad's Physics book. or here is a link. Its not easy to understand the derivation at the first go, but never give up. You'll understand it after a day or two(to be very optimistic). Nevertheless, best of luck.

http://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys201/LectureNotes/SchrodingerEqn.pdf

regards,
math_way

1. What is Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in terms of their wave functions. It is used to predict the probability of finding a particle at a certain location and time.

2. Why is multivariable calculus important for understanding Schrödinger's equation?

Multivariable calculus is essential for understanding Schrödinger's equation because it involves functions of multiple variables, such as position and time. The equation itself is a partial differential equation, which requires knowledge of multivariable calculus to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation has various applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and electronic circuits. It is also used in fields such as chemistry and biology to understand the behavior of molecules and proteins at the quantum level.

4. Can Schrödinger's equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, Schrödinger's equation cannot be solved analytically due to its complexity. However, there are some simplified versions of the equation that can be solved analytically, and numerical methods can also be used to approximate solutions.

5. Is knowledge of multivariable calculus necessary for understanding quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong understanding of multivariable calculus is necessary for understanding quantum mechanics as it is the mathematical language used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. Without it, it would be challenging to comprehend the principles and equations of quantum mechanics.