1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schuam's Outlines and ap books

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    has anyone used these books for supplements? I'm looking preferably at college physics and calculus. I want less theory and more problem solving, do these books help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    Absolutely. I love the Schaum's series. When I took mathematical stats, the text we used was so bad, we switched over to the Schaum's book. Most math professor I talk to all say they used the old school Schaum's books along the way. So yeah, good investments for problems, a bit short on theory.

As for the calculus one, never used it, my text had enough problems & for theory I used The Calculus Lifesaver. As for college physics, again my text had plenty of problems but I also used the Schaum's book now & then. The problem was however that this particular text had a good many typos & some of the answers were clearly wrong as well. As a supplement, I used the textbook study guides (University Physics series) which had more problems.

4. Feb 13, 2010 #3
    Schuam is wonderful. When I learn something new, I would read a Schuam outline before looking at a "real" book. However, take it with a grain of salt since they are usually filled with A LOT of errors , in general

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook