GR: A First Course Q: What is "That Region" on Page 226?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schutz
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the second assumption in a book called "A First Course in GR". The assumption is called the slow-motion assumption and refers to the typical velocity inside the source region, which is \Omega times the size of that region. The speaker asks for clarification on what "THAT REGION" refers to and is told that it is the source region. They then discuss the comparison of a velocity to the length of a region and determine that the factor of 2*sqrt(2) is not important in the calculation.
Jimmy Snyder
Here is a question that requires you to have a copy of the book (A First Course in GR) to answer it.

On page 226, near the bottom of the page is this sentence:

The second assumption is called the slow-motion assumption, since it implies that the typical velocity inside the source region, WHICH is [itex]\Omega[/itex] times the size of THAT REGION, should be much less than 1.

Emphasis mine. Can someone tell me what THAT REGION is? If you tell me that THAT REGION is the source region, then I will ask what WHICH refers to.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
Here is a question that requires you to have a copy of the book (A First Course in GR) to answer it.
On page 226, near the bottom of the page is this sentence:
The second assumption is called the slow-motion assumption, since it implies that the typical velocity inside the source region, WHICH is [itex]\Omega[/itex] times the size of THAT REGION, should be much less than 1.
Emphasis mine. Can someone tell me what THAT REGION is? If you tell me that THAT REGION is the source region, then I will ask what WHICH refers to.

Don't have the book, but the way I read it, "WHICH" refers to the velocity, and THAT REGION is "the source region".

... since it implies that the typical velocity inside the source region, (said velocity) being omega times the size of the source region, should be much less than 1.

pervect said:
"WHICH" refers to the velocity, and THAT REGION is "the source region".
You are right. I can be so blind at times. In this case, I was concentrating on the phrase "WHICH is [itex]\Omega[/itex] times the size of THAT REGION", and thinking that he was comparing one region to another. Now I just have to figure out why he can compare a velocity to (the length of?) a region.

jimmysnyder said:
Now I just have to figure out why he can compare a velocity to (the length of?) a region.

I'm not sure what "typical" means, but here's a the RMS speed for a toy example.

Consider a 1-dimensional simple harmonic oscillator that moves in a region of length L = 2A.

x(t) = A sin(Omega t)

v(t)^2 = (A Omega cos(Omega t))^2

The average of cos^2 is 1/2, so

<v(t)^2> = 1/2 A^2 Omega^2

RMS v = sqrt(<v^2>) = A Omega/sqrt(2) = (L Omega)/(2 sqrt(2))

I'm not sure that the factor of 2*sqrt(2) is important in the type of estimate that Schutz does.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
I'm not sure that the factor of 2*sqrt(2) is important in the type of estimate that Schutz does.
Not important. He was just giving a justification for the term "slow motion assumption". If he cared about the factor, he could absorb it into the w in slow. I just had time to make a quick response to pervect's post before I ran off to work this morning, but I knew that when I got back home I would have to carry out the calculation that you did for me in your post. Thanks.

1. What is "That Region" on Page 226?

"That Region" on Page 226 refers to a specific area or location discussed in the context of the course material. It could be a geographical region, a mathematical space, or a scientific concept.

2. Why is "That Region" important in GR?

"That Region" is important in GR because it is often used as an example or case study to illustrate concepts and principles in general relativity. By understanding "That Region," we can gain a better understanding of the broader concepts in the course.

3. Where can I find more information about "That Region"?

You can find more information about "That Region" in your textbook or lecture notes. You can also do further research using reputable sources such as scientific journals or books on GR.

4. How does "That Region" relate to other concepts in GR?

"That Region" is usually used to demonstrate the application of other concepts in GR. By understanding how "That Region" fits into the bigger picture, we can better understand the connections between different concepts in the course.

5. Can "That Region" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, "That Region" can be applied to real-world situations as it is often used as an example to explain and understand phenomena in the universe, such as black holes or gravitational waves.