Schutz's "A First Course In General Relativity" 2nd Edition

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Gr
In summary, Schutz's recently released 2nd edition of "A First Course In General Relativity" includes updates and revisions in areas such as gravitational radiation, neutron stars, black holes, and cosmology. While the first 8 chapters remain similar to the 1st edition, the 2nd edition adds new material and is more visually appealing. However, the 2nd edition no longer includes hints or answers to exercises. Whether or not it is worth getting the 2nd edition depends on the reader's interest in these updated topics.
qspeechc
Hi everyone.

Schutz recently released a 2nd edition of his book "A First Course In General Relativity". Has anyone read this edition? Is it worth getting the 2nd edition, or is the 1st fine? The library has the first edition and that's 390 pages. The second edition is 410 pages.

From the editorial reviews on amazon.com :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521887054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

it looks like the main changes are in the applications of GR to cosmology etc. I am a mathematics major so I do not intend going into any GR related research, so is this a big deal?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine the new edition adds material on inflation which you could pick up elsewhere.

I've heard that the newer edition is more up-to-date in its treatment of cosmology.

It does lack hints/answers to the problems (these are in the 1st edition) but the layout and readability is much better. Also as mentioned has a some more up to date applications to Cosmology etc (I imagine the grav. waves sections have been revised).

I have both. Summarizing the relevant section in the preface to the second edition:

The first 8 chapters are pretty much identical.
Ch 9 on gravitational radiation includes discussion on detectors such as LIGO and LISA, as well as a discussion about likely gravitational wave sources.
Ch 10 has added material on neutron stars.
Ch 11 includes material about the astrophysical evidence for black holes and has also slightly amended the discussion on Hawking radiation.
Ch 12 on cosmology is completely rewritten due to the fact that the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

As mentioned above, there are no longer hints or answers to any of the exercises. Also as mentioned, the new book is much more nicely laid out and pleasing to the eye.

1. What is the main focus of "A First Course In General Relativity" 2nd Edition?

The main focus of this book is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of general relativity, including topics such as curved spacetime, the Einstein field equations, and black holes.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of general relativity?

Yes, this book is designed for students with a background in basic calculus and physics. It provides a clear and concise introduction to general relativity, making it suitable for beginners in the field.

3. How is the 2nd edition different from the 1st edition of "A First Course In General Relativity"?

The 2nd edition includes updates and revisions to the content, as well as new exercises and examples. It also includes a new chapter on gravitational radiation and expanded coverage of topics such as cosmology and black hole thermodynamics.

4. What sets "A First Course In General Relativity" apart from other books on the subject?

This book is known for its clear and accessible writing style, making it easy for students to understand complex concepts. It also includes numerous exercises and examples to help reinforce understanding.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "A First Course In General Relativity"?

A basic understanding of calculus and physics is recommended, as well as familiarity with special relativity. Some prior knowledge of differential geometry may also be helpful, but not required.