Solving Schwartz QFT Eqn 5.26 to Get Eqn 5.27

• Thread starter merrypark3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary: Haha yes, it is the first QFT book I've personally come across that actually feels like a true physics book. It almost feels like cheating having this book in possession when my class's assigned text is (unfortunately) Peskin and Schroeder since the former provides all the intuition that the latter completely lacks, at least in Part I (I haven't even looked Parts II and beyond).
merrypark3
Hello.
From Schwartz QFT BOOK,
How could Eqn 5.26 can be Eqn 5.27?

[itex]d \Pi_{LIPS}=(2 \pi) ^{4} \delta^{4}(\Sigma p) \frac{d^{3} p_{3}}{(2 \pi) ^{3}} \frac{1}{2 E_{3}} \frac{d^{3} p_{4}}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \frac{1}{2 E_{4}} [/itex] Eqn(5.26)

[itex]d \Pi_{LIPS}=\frac{1}{16 \pi ^{2}} dΩ ∫ d p_{f} \frac{{p_{f}}^2}{E_{3}} \frac{1}{E_{4}} \delta ( E_{3} + E_{4} - E_{CM}) [/itex] Eqn(5.27)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just integrate over the ##\delta##-function and then switch to spherical coordinates in momentum space. Keep in mind ##\delta^4 (\Sigma p) = \delta^4 (p^{\mu}_1 + p^{\mu}_2 - p^{\mu}_3 - p^{\mu}_4)## so separate the ##\delta##-function into products over the 3-vectors and the energies.

Integrate over? In (5.26), there is no integration?

It's implicit.

Yeah, there really shouldn't be an integral sign in 5.27 if there isn't one in 5.26. Also, p_3 has changed its name to p_f. Also, while 5.27 is Lorentz invariant, he's adopted a specific frame (the CM frame) in 5.27.

OK. as [itex]\vec{p_{3}}=-\vec{p_{4}}[/itex] , we can insert integration (over [itex]\vec{p_{4}}[/itex] ) in Eqn(5.26) without altering the original. got it.

Last edited:
thanks. I would ask some more questions about Shwartz QFT textbook. I hope to solve all the exercises of this book within 2 years, though had solved only up to ch.4

merrypark3 said:
I hope to solve all the exercises of this book within 2 years, though had solved only up to ch.4

Cool, well good luck! I'm working through the book as well actually. I'm on ch.7 problems. So it looks like we have the same goals :)

Good. Good luck! This book is quite well written.

merrypark3 said:
This book is quite well written.

Haha yes, it is the first QFT book I've personally come across that actually feels like a true physics book. It almost feels like cheating having this book in possession when my class's assigned text is (unfortunately) Peskin and Schroeder since the former provides all the intuition that the latter completely lacks, at least in Part I (I haven't even looked Parts II and beyond).

EDIT: actually Aitchison and Hey is a really awesome physics book as well, George Jones told me about it.

Last edited:

1. What is the Schwartz QFT Equation 5.26?

The Schwartz QFT Equation 5.26 is a mathematical equation used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It is also known as the Feynman-Schwinger equation and is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory.

2. How is Eqn 5.26 solved to get Eqn 5.27?

To solve Schwartz QFT Equation 5.26, one must use various mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory, renormalization, and Feynman diagrams. These techniques allow physicists to calculate the value of the equation and obtain Eqn 5.27, which is the desired result.

3. What is the significance of Eqn 5.27?

Eqn 5.27 is significant because it provides a mathematical description of the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of these particles and their interactions with each other. This equation is essential in understanding the fundamental principles of quantum field theory and the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

4. Are there any limitations to using Eqn 5.27?

Like any mathematical equation, Eqn 5.27 has its limitations. It is a simplified representation of the complex behavior of particles in a quantum system and may not accurately describe all situations. Additionally, it only applies to systems that follow the principles of quantum field theory and may not be applicable in other fields of physics.

5. How is Eqn 5.27 used in practical applications?

Eqn 5.27 is used in a wide range of practical applications, including particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments and to understand the fundamental principles of the universe. It also has applications in technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.