Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarz Inequality and Irrational Numbers

1. Aug 17, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone. I have 2 questions.

1. Prove that the cube root (3) + sqrt (2) is irrational.

My Solution​
    Assume l is an irrational number of the form p/q where p and q are integers not equal to 0. Then

p^6 / q^6 = [(cube root(3) + sqrt (2))]^6

I concluded that it must be in the form x^6 +a1x^5 + ... + an(sub n) = 0, where a1..an are integers. I do not know how to prove whether x is irrational or integral. I tried using a simpler case like sqrt (2), but it did not work.

2. State the geometrical interpretation of Schwarz Inequality for n = 2, 3.

I know the interpretation is for any angle between two straight lines the cosine is less than the absolute value of 1. But how do you get that?

I know Schwarz Inequality is:

(a1b1 + a2b2 +... +anbn)^2 <= (a1^2+a2^2+...+an^2) (b1^2+b2^2+...+bn^2).

So for n = 2, we have (a1b1 +a2b2)^2 <= (a1^2+a2^2)(b1^2+b2^2). However how do we get the interpretation mentioned above?

3. Show that the equality sign in Schwarz Inequality holds if and only if the a's and b's are proportional; cav +dbv = 0.

My Solution​
    We know that ax^2 + 2bx + c = a(x+ b/a)^2 + ac-b^2/ a
    If b^2 - ac = 0 we can set above equation equal to 0. Then ehat?

I would appreciate any responses.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. There's a nifty theorem about the rational solutions of polynomials:

Given the polynomal [itex]a_n x^n + \ldots + a_1 x + a_0[/itex], with all of the a_i integers, all rational solutions are given by p/q where p divides a_0 and q divides a_n.

2. Do you recognize a1b1 + a2b2 as the dot product of <a1, a2> with <b1, b2>?

4. Aug 17, 2004 #3
    any ideas about the third problem?

5. Aug 18, 2004 #4
    Here is my solution to the third problem:

ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 iff b^2 - ac = 0. Then we apply Schwarz inequality. However this is where I get stuck. How do we apply Schwarz Inequality?

Note: ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 is same as a(x + b/a )^2 + (ac - b^2 )/ a = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?