Schwarz inequality is Cauchy–Schwarz inequality?

• Thread starter rfrederic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, there seems to be confusion surrounding the Schwarz inequality and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. While many sources on books and the internet show them as the same, the teacher's material presents them as different. This has led to questions and emails being sent to the teacher without a response. It has also been pointed out that the Schwarz inequality may be a typo and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is correct. However, there is still uncertainty about whether they are truly the same or not.
rfrederic
I found many information showed Schwarz inequality and Cauchy–Schwarz inequality are same on books and internet, but my teacher's material shows that:
Schwarz inequality:
[itex]\left\|[x,y]\right\|\leq\left\|x\right\|+\left\|y\right\|[/itex]

Cauchy–Schwarz inequality:
[itex]\left\|[x,y]\right\|\leq\left\|x\right\|\left\|y\right\|[/itex]

They seem to be different on material, and I had sent email to teacher but having no reply.
Therefore my question is "Are Schwarz inequality and Cauchy–Schwarz inequality same?"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those do not look like inequalities to me. And the first one looks wrong, independent of the inequality sign.
Maybe you mean ##||x+y|| \leq ||x||+||y||##, but that is the triangle inequality. It follows from the Cauchy–Schwarz inequality if the norm is induced by a scalar product.

mfb said:
Those do not look like inequalities to me. And the first one looks wrong, independent of the inequality sign.
Maybe you mean ##||x+y|| \leq ||x||+||y||##, but that is the triangle inequality. It follows from the Cauchy–Schwarz inequality if the norm is induced by a scalar product.

Sorry about used wrong symbol, and I have modified.
I know triangle inequality.

But the question still is "are Schwarz inequality and Cauchy–Schwarz inequality same?"

Thanks for your reply. :smile:

Your Schwarz inequality simply seems false. In [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], we have [itex][x,y]=xy[/itex]. But it is certainly not the case that

[tex]|2\cdot 3|\leq |2|+|3|[/tex]

It looks like a typo to me. The books and the internet are right I think.

micromass said:
Your Schwarz inequality simply seems false. In [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], we have [itex][x,y]=xy[/itex]. But it is certainly not the case that

[tex]|2\cdot 3|\leq |2|+|3|[/tex]

Well, do you mean that:
Schwarz inequality
= Cauchy–Schwarz inequality
= [itex]\left\|[x,y]\right\|\leq\left\|x\right\|\left\|y\right\|[/itex]?

Vargo said:
It looks like a typo to me. The books and the internet are right I think.

I think so either, thus I want to figure it out.

Both of your answers are helpful, thanks. :smile:

1. What is the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two vectors to their lengths. It states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their lengths.

2. What is the significance of the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to prove other important theorems, such as the triangle inequality and the Minkowski inequality. In addition, it is a fundamental tool in the study of vector spaces and has various applications in optimization problems.

3. How is the Schwarz inequality derived?

The Schwarz inequality can be derived using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for real numbers, which states that the square of the inner product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of the squares of their lengths. This is proven by considering the quadratic polynomial formed by the difference between the two sides of the inequality and showing that it is always greater than or equal to zero.

4. What are some examples of using the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality is commonly used in various fields of mathematics and science. For example, it is used in statistics to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for random variables, in quantum mechanics to prove the uncertainty principle, and in geometry to prove the isoperimetric inequality. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Schwarz inequality?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Schwarz inequality. These include the Hölder inequality, which is a generalization to multiple vectors, and the Minkowski inequality, which is a generalization to higher dimensions. There is also a generalized form of the Schwarz inequality for complex numbers, known as the Cauchy-Bunyakovsky-Schwarz inequality.