1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarzschild Black holes

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]d\tau = dt\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{dr}{d(ct)} = 1 - \frac{r_s}{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all I worked out the Schwarzschild radius to be [tex]2.964*10^4[/tex]m.

From this I plugged it into the first of the two equations above, along with [tex]d\tau = 30[/tex], and [tex]dt = 300[/tex] (years in both cases, but it'll cancel), and rearranged to give r as [tex]2.994*10^4[/tex]m, i.e. 300m outside the Schwarzschild radius.

From here I plugged these new numbers into the second equation that I've given in order to give [tex]\frac{dr}{d(ct)} = 0.01[/tex]. I assume that this means a fraction of c.

I'm not entirely convinced though. Can someone check what I've done please. Have I used the correct meanings of [tex]d\tau and dt[/tex]? Is the second equation that I've given the correct one to use? If not could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for anyone who helps out.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?