Schwarzschild Four Velocity

In summary, the four velocity, four acceleration, and scalar for an observer at r=r_0, θ=θ_0, φ=φ_0 in the Schwarzschild spacetime with r>2m can be calculated using the Schwarzschild Metric. The four velocity is given by (1/√(1-2m/r), 0, 0, 0) and the four acceleration is zero. The scalar A^i A_i is given by the non-zero value of the Christoffel symbol Γ^i_tt.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Calculate the four velocity [itex] V^i [/itex], the four acceleration [itex] A^i [/itex] and the scalar [itex] A^i A_i [/itex] for an observer at [itex] r=r_0, \theta = \theta_0, \phi = \phi_0 [/itex] in the Schwarzschild spacetime with r>2m.

Homework Equations

The Schwarzschild Metric

[tex] ds^2 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) dt^2 + \left( 1- \frac{2m}{r} \right)^{-1} dr^2 + r^2 \left( d\theta ^2 + sin^2(\theta) d\phi ^2 \right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to even start this problem in that I don't see how the four velocity will depend on the metric, and so the only place I can see it being needed is in calculating the scalar [itex] A^i A_i [/itex]. Is the spatial part of the four velocity given by the spherical velocity [itex] ( \dot{r}, r \dot{\theta}, r \dot{\theta} sin(\theta) ) [/itex] and the time element would just be 1? (we've scaled c= 1).

Physics news on Phys.org
Kreizhn said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the four velocity [itex] V^i [/itex], the four acceleration [itex] A^i [/itex] and the scalar [itex] A^i A_i [/itex] for an observer at [itex] r=r_0, \theta = \theta_0, \phi = \phi_0 [/itex] in the Schwarzschild spacetime with r>2m.

Homework Equations

The Schwarzschild Metric

[tex] ds^2 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) dt^2 + \left( 1- \frac{2m}{r} \right)^{-1} dr^2 + r^2 \left( d\theta ^2 + sin^2(\theta) d\phi ^2 \right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to even start this problem in that I don't see how the four velocity will depend on the metric, and so the only place I can see it being needed is in calculating the scalar [itex] A^i A_i [/itex]. Is the spatial part of the four velocity given by the spherical velocity [itex] ( \dot{r}, r \dot{\theta}, r \dot{\theta} sin(\theta) ) [/itex] and the time element would just be 1? (we've scaled c= 1).

V^i is given by [tex] \frac{dx^i}{d \tau} [/tex] Al the x^i are constant except for [tex]x^0 = t [/tex] so you will have to take the derivative of this with respect to the proper time and this is where the metric will be needed.

The metric should become
[tex] ds^2 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) dt^2[/tex]

I figured that the space like components would be zero, but as for the time coordinate, if I want to examine [itex]\frac{dt}{d\tau}[/itex] then wouldn't I also need to consider [itex] \frac{ds}{d\tau} [/itex] or should I make some assumptions based on the fact that we assume it's a massive particle and must follow a time like geodesic?

But if it follows a time like geodesic, it seems to me that the time will trivially be the proper time, when I have a strange inkling that it should be something with
[tex] \displaystyle \left( 1- \frac{2m}{r} \right) [/tex].

Kreizhn said:
The metric should become
[tex] ds^2 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) dt^2[/tex]

I figured that the space like components would be zero, but as for the time coordinate, if I want to examine [itex]\frac{dt}{d\tau}[/itex] then wouldn't I also need to consider [itex] \frac{ds}{d\tau} [/itex] or should I make some assumptions based on the fact that we assume it's a massive particle and must follow a time like geodesic?

But if it follows a time like geodesic, it seems to me that the time will trivially be the proper time, when I have a strange inkling that it should be something with
[tex] \displaystyle \left( 1- \frac{2m}{r} \right) [/tex].

It's not following a geodesic since it is staying at constant r, theta and phi!

It's not following a spatial geodesic, but wouldn't it still be following a geodesic in time through space time? And in that case then ds=0 and time is just proper time.

Kreizhn said:
It's not following a spatial geodesic, but wouldn't it still be following a geodesic in time through space time?

No.

And in that case then ds=0 and time is just proper time.

No.

In special relativity, what does it mean for the interval ds to be zero?

In special relativity, when is the time coordinate also proper time?

Okay, so ds = 0 would correspond to a null geodesic. Since the object is at rest, it's following a time-like geodesic, and so I would solve

[tex] ds^2 = -1 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) \left( \frac{dt}{d \tau}\right)^2 [/tex]

Does this seem right?

Kreizhn said:
Okay, so ds = 0 would correspond to a null geodesic. Since the object is at rest, it's following a time-like geodesic,

No, an observer that is freely falling follows a timelike geodesic. A geodesic worldline is one on which an https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=981470&postcount=10" would read zero. An observer at rest in Schwarzschild coordinates follows a timelike worldline, but, as kdv said, this worldline is not a geodesic. As you are supposed to show, the 4-acceleration of such an observer is non-zero.

and so I would solve

[tex] ds^2 = -1 = -\displaystyle \left(1-\frac{2m}{r} \right) \left( \frac{dt}{d \tau}\right)^2 [/tex]

Does this seem right?

Not quite. On any observer's timelile worldline, [itex]ds^2 = -d\tau^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay yes, I realize I wrote my above equation to be solved in a rather bad manner, but setting [itex] ds^2 = -d\tau^2 [/itex] will give me the same result so I think that's right.

Kreizhn said:
Okay yes, I realize I wrote my above equation to be solved in a rather bad manner, but setting [itex] ds^2 = -d\tau^2 [/itex] will give me the same result so I think that's right.

Yes, if you get rid of everything to the left of the -1, the equation is right.

So we find that [itex] V^i = \displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2m}{r}}} , 0, 0, 0 \right) [/itex]. Now in order to find [itex] A^i [/itex] I must find [itex] \frac{D V^i}{d\tau} = \frac{\partial V^i}{\partial d\tau} + \Gamma^i_{bc} V^b V^c[/itex].

The only non-obvious partial is [itex] \frac{\partial V^t}{\partial d\tau} [/itex]. So,
[tex] \frac{d^2 t}{d\tau^2} = \displaystyle \frac{d}{d\tau} \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right) [/tex]

But since there's no explicit dependence on [itex] \tau [/itex]I tried using the chain rule. That is

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{d}{d\tau} \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right) = \frac{dr}{d\tau} \frac{d}{dr} \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right) [/tex]
[tex] = -\left(\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right) \left(\frac{m}{r^2 \left( 1- \frac{2m}{r} \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} }\right) = 0[/tex]

We conclude that [itex] \frac{\partial V^i}{\partial d\tau} =0[/itex]

Furthermore, for non-zero [itex] \Gamma^i_{bc} V^b V^c[/itex] we are required to use [itex] \Gamma^i _{tt} [/itex]

Now the only way [itex] \Gamma^i _{tt} [/itex] is non-zero is if we have an r derivative and so we consider [itex] \Gamma^r _{tt} =\frac{1}{2}g^{rr}(-g_{tt,r})[/itex]

But I'm not too sure what [itex] g^{rr} [/itex] is. Our reduced metric seems to only be 1x1 and if I increase it to 2x2 then it's singular and doesn't have an inverse since dr²=0. What do I do?

Edit: Is it really just [itex] 1-\frac{2M}{r} [/itex] ?

Last edited:
It makes sense that [itex] g^{rr} = (1-\frac{2m}{r} ) [/itex] since then the four acceleration would be

[tex] A^i = (0, \frac{M}{r^2}, 0, 0) [/tex]

which makes sense since we expect to exert a force to keep the observer at rest, and [itex] \frac{M}{r^2} [/itex] happens to correspond beautifully with the Newtonian force of gravity where G=1.

Kreizhn said:
It makes sense that [itex] g^{rr} = (1-\frac{2m}{r} ) [/itex]

Yes, this is [itex]g^{rr}[/itex]

since then the four acceleration would be

[tex] A^i = (0, \frac{M}{r^2}, 0, 0) [/tex]

and these are components of the 4-acceleration with respect to the coordinate basis.

which makes sense since we expect to exert a force to keep the observer at rest, and [itex] \frac{M}{r^2} [/itex] happens to correspond beautifully with the Newtonian force of gravity where G=1.

To find the actual physical acceleration of a stationary observer, the 4-acceleration should be expressed with respect to an orthonormal frame, not with respect to a coordinate basis. Since the magnitude of the 4-acceleration is independent of the basis used, it suffices to calculate [itex]A^\mu A_\mu[/itex] in any basis, even a coordinate basis, to find the acceleration experienced by the observer. This expression is quite interesting.

1. What is Schwarzschild Four Velocity?

Schwarzschild Four Velocity is a concept in General Relativity that describes the velocity of an object in a curved spacetime, specifically in the vicinity of a massive object like a black hole. It takes into account both the object's speed in space and its time dilation due to the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is Schwarzschild Four Velocity calculated?

To calculate Schwarzschild Four Velocity, you need to know the object's velocity in three-dimensional space (its spatial velocity) and its time dilation factor (often denoted as "gamma"). These values are then combined using a mathematical formula to give the object's four-dimensional velocity, which takes into account the warping of spacetime by a massive object.

3. What is the significance of Schwarzschild Four Velocity?

Schwarzschild Four Velocity is significant because it is a fundamental concept in General Relativity, which is our current best theory for describing the force of gravity. It allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects in the vicinity of massive objects like black holes, where the effects of gravity are most pronounced.

4. How does Schwarzschild Four Velocity relate to the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape. Schwarzschild Four Velocity is used to calculate the speed at which an object would need to travel in order to escape the black hole's event horizon. If the object's four-velocity is less than the speed of light, it will be pulled into the black hole; if it is greater than the speed of light, it can escape.

5. Can Schwarzschild Four Velocity be measured?

Schwarzschild Four Velocity is a theoretical concept and cannot be measured directly. However, it can be calculated using mathematical models and computer simulations. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational environments, such as black holes.