Schwarzschild Metric & Particle Absorption

In summary, QFT is more difficult than GR, and studying it may help you understand how particles can be absorbed by other particles.
accdd
The Schwarzschild metric implies a potential different from that of Newtonian gravity. Is there a relationship between it and the process by which particles can be absorbed by other particles?
(I haven't studied QFT yet)

Physics news on Phys.org
accdd said:
The Schwarzschild metric implies a potential different from that of Newtonian gravity. Is there a relationship between it and the process by which particles can be absorbed by other particles?
(I haven't studied QFT yet)
Are you talking about particle collisions in curved spacetime?

I do not know.
I don't know anything about QFT and am currently studying general relativity.

accdd said:
I do not know.
I don't know anything about QFT and am currently studying general relativity.
If you don't know what question you're asking how can anyone answer it?

Likes Vanadium 50 and accdd
Curiosity.
I am studying the Schwarzschild metric and I have read that if you get too close you fall into the object in question, I thought that this could be related to the fact that particles can be absorbed by other particles. Are these two concepts related? Should I study QFT first?

accdd said:
I am studying the Schwarzschild metric and I have read that if you get too close you fall into the object in question, I thought that this could be related to the fact that particles can be absorbed by other particles. Are these two concepts related?
Not really. One is the theory of gravity; the other is the quantum theory of particle collisions. Particle collisions are not modeled as a gravitational process!
accdd said:
Should I study QFT first?
QFT is more advanced than GR in my opinion.

Likes PeterDonis and accdd
PeroK said:
If you don't know what question you're asking how can anyone answer it?
I went to see a psychic. She asked me "what seems to be the problem." I replied "you tell me!"

accdd said:
I am studying the Schwarzschild metric and I have read that if you get too close you fall into the object in question, I thought that this could be related to the fact that particles can be absorbed by other particles. Are these two concepts related?
No.

Likes accdd
accdd said:
I am studying the Schwarzschild metric
From which source? Textbook(s)? Formal Course? Pop-sci fluff?
accdd said:
and I have read that if you get too close you fall into the object in question, I thought that this could be related to the fact that particles can be absorbed by other particles. Are these two concepts related?
Since you mentioned "curiosity", I'll risk telling you that they're "related" only in a vague sense that in the vicinity of the Schwarzschild horizon there's a phenomenon called Hawking Radiation. This is an advanced topic, requiring knowledge of QFT in Curved Spacetime (which is far more difficult that ordinary QFT -- which is itself one of the most difficult areas of theoretical physics).

accdd said:
Should I study QFT first?
Yes, but try advanced QM first (see my signature line), then introductory QFT, then advanced QFT, then try QFT in curved spacetime. That should keep you gainfully occupied for many years. :oldwink:

Likes accdd and Nugatory

1. What is the Schwarzschild Metric?

The Schwarzschild Metric is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity. It describes the curvature of spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass, such as a black hole.

2. How does the Schwarzschild Metric relate to black holes?

The Schwarzschild Metric is used to describe the event horizon and singularity of a non-rotating black hole. It also predicts the gravitational time dilation and redshift near a black hole.

3. What is particle absorption in the context of the Schwarzschild Metric?

Particle absorption refers to the process of a particle, such as a photon, being captured by a black hole's event horizon and unable to escape. This is due to the extreme curvature of spacetime near the black hole.

4. How does the Schwarzschild Metric affect the motion of particles?

The Schwarzschild Metric predicts that the motion of particles near a black hole will be affected by the strong gravitational pull. This can result in particles following curved paths and experiencing time dilation and redshift.

5. Can the Schwarzschild Metric be applied to objects other than black holes?

Yes, the Schwarzschild Metric can be used to describe the gravitational field around any spherically symmetric mass, not just black holes. It is also used in astrophysics to study the motion of stars and planets in the presence of massive objects.