1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarzschild radial light rays

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider Schwarzschild spacetime.
    A) Show that the equation for ingoing/outgoing radial light rays is dt/dr = +-r/(r-2m) in t,r coordinates and dt*/dr = -1, dt*/dr=(r+2m)/(r-2m) in t*,r coordinates
    B) Sketch the local light cones in t,r and t*,r coordinates
    C) Explain which coordinates give a truer physical description of the local light cones.
    D) Explain the motion of a radial light ray emitted near r=2m.

2. Relevant equations
    schwarzschild metric 0=g[itex]_{\mu\upsilon}[/itex](x(t))[itex]\dot{x}[/itex][itex]^{\mu}[/itex](t)[itex]\dot{x}[/itex][itex]^{\upsilon}[/itex](t)= -[itex]\frac{r-2m}{r}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{r}{r-2m}[/itex][itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex]sin[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta\phi[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

t[itex]_{*}[/itex]=t+2mln([itex]\frac{r}{2m}[/itex]-1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main struggle here is with part A) ... C) I also am not 100% sure of.

A) I have managed to show dr/dt*=[itex]\frac{r-2m}{r+2m}[/itex] for the outgoing t*,r coordinates, by using null coordinates, but I am clearly missing something here.

B) *i have this one completed also*

C)I believe that the t coordinates give a truer physical description (for us), as these are introduced in order to adapt to the light rays. i.e. t* is the time coordinate adapted to the light rays, thus, this coordinate system should give the physical description for the light rays... but t should be physically truer for us (?)

D)I have said that all light rays near the r=2m will eventually hit the singularity, however the outward directed ray from outside the r=2m line will always remain outside r=2m, 'escaping' the blackhole.

Any hints/help are greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?