1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwinger's 3 volume monograph

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I started reading Schwinger's first volume of the monograph: "particles, sources and fields"

And I must say it's hard book to read, has anyone read it or wish to correspond here or on PMs about any thing that is being deduced in the book/s?

Or am I the only bloke who read this book, besides Schwinger's and his hypothetical reader "Harold"?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I haven't read the books, and Schwinger is known to be hard to read, but struggling with his texts always leads to some understanding, at least when judging from his textbooks on classical electrodynamics and quantum mechanics. So, I suggest to post questions to discuss into the quantum mechanics subforum, where also QFT is discussed.

4. Sep 30, 2014 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I'll use it later on, I just enquiring as to if there's anyone who read his classic book? (In the start of the book, there's this statement:"if you can't join 'em, then beat 'em").

So I assume, that Schwinger was sort of a renegade in the physicisists' circles.

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4
    I've read at the first 3 pages and already the book is phenomenal, never seen that global approach to the commutator or Jacobi identity before, I would have thought Arnold would have mentioned this perspective in his group theory book and in his Teaching essay instead of the whole triangles crossing aat a point thing...

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Can you cite explicitly the book by Arnold, as in what its title?

7. Oct 7, 2014 #6
  8. Oct 7, 2014 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I'll have to reread it, I'll let you know after I am finish rereading the entire book; It's a hard book no kidding!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted